Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
userwords

Portable Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4tb, Regular and Expansion

2 posts in this topic

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_4tb_backup_plus_portable_drive_review

Portable Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4tb, Regular and Expansion

Im looking at some Portable drives, or at least i nailed it down to this kind of drives, after lurking like mad reading a lot, from regular internal 3.5 to enterprise class, toshiba, and even tape for backups ( i really went crazy on this). But now im mostly sure that my use case is for portable drives. The least clunky best cable untanglement better portability and work on the go i can get. Im pointing roughly to 9 to 12tb with a twin backup of the same size although not necessarily in the same kind of drive or media. Im now looking at the Backup Fast 4tb (2 or 3 of them) one as main additional drive to work, then to either the regular backup plus or the expansion as a backup (again 2 o3 3 4tb of them), as i wont trust any data solely to a raid enclosure. But i better number them:

0. Is there any specific season of the year were hdd and ssd drive manufacturers launch new products and make announcements, maybe in some event, or are there randomly spread. Is this season bad for new purchases if you can hold it for a while. I reead about Hamr for the 1 to 2nd quarter next year but thats too much and seeing that helium has been parked up the the height of enterprise budgets, i dont hold any chance will see hamr in consumer base for an even longer while.

1. Is there any difference between STDA4000200 and STDA4000100. First one is the version in europe presumably for the same model. But do you know if there are differences, specially, are the drives inside the same. I did read the specsheets and they say the same. The only real difference is the steal of plus 60 dollar for the price.

2. Which drive model is running in the STDA4000200 and STDA4000100. Is it the one mentioned by this user in the forums:

The SEAGATE 2.5" 15mm thick 3TB and 4TB drives are BOTH PMR and have 5 platers and 10 heads.

As for 9.5mm thick drives, there's only one with 2TB, that no matter officially many places sell as a Seagate drive, is actually a Samsung drive...AVOID this drive. It's problematic with LARGE tendency for sooner than later start to make all kind of noises.

This drive is not SMR but it doesn't seem to be a pure PMR either...Samsung have this drive also in 1.5TB capacity but using standard 500GB platers and PMR heads that, according to the rare info i had read about it, seems to work well w/o weird noises.

Both are 3 platers and 6 heads.

Finally, Seagate have a new 7mm thick 2TB drive with only 2 platers and 4 heads but is SMR, no reviews yet.

There is a supplier in EU with all them in stock has bare OEM drives.

3. Are Smr better either in performance or reliability better than pmr. Because after reading your article my guess is that it is mostly in practical terms a factor to increase profit per drive for the manufacturer. And if i got it right how they work, considering that touching a layer of data most times means to first move all the other data that may be overlapping on it, doesn that make them slower and also to have lower reliability because the system will be rewriting and moving data more times.

4. What is the random read write for an average 7200 rpm, like the seagate 3tb st3000dm001. AM i right to guess from your benchmarcks in the review that the backup plus fast 4tb should be around 30% faster in both sequential and random.

5. Again next to the st3000dm001 how would perform another model like the Backup Plus Portable Drive 4TB Black STDR4000100. Is it slower or faster, i suppose clearly slower because of the 5400 rpm isnt it.

6. Is there performance difference between the Backup Plus Portable Drive 4TB Black

STDR4000100 and the Expansion Portable 4TB [/size]STEA4000400. WHich drives models and brands are running inside these two. Are both running a single drive or are them dual raid 2tb.

7. Is the software included for backups in Backup Plus drives also included in the expansion portable drives.

Unidad portátil Backup Plus Fast de 4 TB

STDA4000200

Backup Plus Fast Portable Drive 4TB

STDA4000100

Backup Plus Portable Drive 4TB Black

STDR4000100

Expansion Portable 4TB

STEA4000400

Edited by userwords

STDA4000200 vs. STDA4000100, no idea. However I suspect aside from whatever regulatory paperwork is different between USA and Europe, they are identical.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_backup_plus_fast_portable_review
Shows two Samsung 2TB M9T 2.5" drives inside. Per:
http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_spinpoint_m9t_hard_drive_review
They smell like conventional PMR drives.

3. Are Smr better either in performance or reliability better than pmr.

There are ample articles, both on Storagereview.com as well as other sites, discussing the difference as you noticed. For reads they appear to be identical, it's only for writes beyond one zone's worth or whatever (25GB I think?) that they get slower.

I don't think any SMR-based drives have been around long enough to have a real track record, at least not as far as is visible to end-users.

FWIW Seagate does appear to be refining their SMR implementation, performace in the newest drives does look much more consistent.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10335/seagate-innov8-8tb-buspowered-external-hard-drive-review

Peformance between the ST3000DM001 (7200rpm, 3.5", PMR), STDR4000100 (5400rpm, 2.5", SMR), STEA4000400 (probably identical to the STDR4000100, probably just less bundled software included as it's part of the lower-end Expansion line vs. the higher-end Backup Plus line) or whatnot, it sounds like you've already read the benchmarks. You don't need us to re-read them to you again. ;)

6. Is there performance difference between the Backup Plus Portable Drive 4TB BlackSTDR4000100 and the Expansion Portable 4TB STEA4000400

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_4tb_backup_plus_portable_drive_review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9489/seagate-backup-plus-portable-4tb-usb-30-drive-review

Both are a single 2.5" 5400rpm 4TB disk, almost certainly using SMR per reviews. The links above are for the Backup Plus, but you can read the spec sheets on both at Seagate's site, and from the spec sheets they are almost certainly identical hardware inside.

I'm not sure exactly what software packages are included with the Expansion drives as I have never used any of the included software with either :P but IIRC they are lower-end than Backup Plus drives so the software included is less comprehensive.