Sign in to follow this  
schaki

mSata 830, 840 Evo and 850 Evo ? - 120gb

I'm debating which one I should go for of these three. The reason I need to go with mSata is that I'll use one or two with mSata to IDE adapter in laptops with that old interface.

I'm aware of that the TLC based 840/850 Evo may lose data if they stay powerless for too long which may cause problem. How serious is that issue? The laptops will probably not be used a whole lot.

Is the MLC based 830 mSata also affected by this problem ? I would guess not but asking as I'm not quite sure.

Having had a look at what these drives go for on Ebay I see that the small price difference is nothing to care about.

I had a look at the 850 Evo msata review and see that it seems to use same Nand as 840 Evo msata and that there is not is a whole lot of difference in performance. I've noticed that 120gb is the smallest size for 840/850 Evo msata, while 128 gb for 830 msata is the next largest (the smallest is 32gb) in that series.

Am I right or wrong if I speculate that the 830 msata 128gb might be on par or even ahead of the 840/850 Evo 120gb in R/W when connected to a Sata III controller? - since Samsung seems to have had "problem" with the two smallest drives out of four different sizes in the same series in the past.

I've vague memories that the 830 2.5" 128gb not got very good verdicts for performance as it was the next smallest drive, while the 256gb was better. Unlike 830m sata series, the 2.5" went up to 512gb. http://samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/PM830_DCE_Product%20Overview.pdf

I don't know however this size/performance problem remained or not for Samsung with newer series like 840 and 850 Pro.

I'm thinking of potentially use these drives in a some newer rig later on as well so that's why I thought about performance differences. With that said I'm still not very tempted use RAPID which 840/850 Evo offer but I'll be ok with the "real deal"

840 EVO appears to have long-term performance issues, I would skip it. I would grab an 850 EVO of the choices you mentioned.

830 is ancient, I don't even know where you would dig one up. 128GB is also smaller than ideal for all of the drives mentioned due to insufficient NAND to scale to maximum performance.

I'm aware of that the TLC based 840/850 Evo may lose data if they stay powerless for too long which may cause problem. How serious is that issue?

Complete non-issue for any modern SSD. (or even a 5 year old model for the most part)

840 EVO appears to have long-term performance issues, I would skip it. I would grab an 850 EVO of the choices you mentioned.

830 is ancient, I don't even know where you would dig one up. 128GB is also smaller than ideal for all of the drives mentioned due to insufficient NAND to scale to maximum performance.

Complete non-issue for any modern SSD. (or even a 5 year old model for the most part)

Luckily Samsung finally released a firmware in november last year for the 840 Evo mSata as well, as previously the 2.5" Evo. As I assume that's the long-term performance issue you thought about?

Surely the 830 is the oldest of these three but as i said, the 830 128gb mSata is the next biggest in the 830 mSata line. Meanwhile the 120gb 840/850 Evo mSata is the smallest in the 840 Evo mSata series and Samsung seems to have had less good performance with the two smallest sizes in a each series for some time. Shouldn't that mean that the 830 Evo mSata 128gb should be perform well compared to the 840/850 120 mSata ?

After all the Samsung 830 series was top-notch when new and the predecessor to 840 Pro while the EVOs are real consumer drives, using TLC Nand. MLC for 830.

Edited by schaki

I just don't see the point in going for an older drive if you don't have to. Support is limited, which could be a problem down the road.

850 evo mSATA 250GB would be the best small size drive for the money. The 250GB provides better performance over the 120GB, as well as provides a better warranty (5yr/75TBW). You should be able to find one on Newegg/Amazon for less than $100 (big box retailers will generally price match Newegg/Amazon prices, provided they are the direct sellers).

Luckily Samsung finally released a firmware in november last year for the 840 Evo mSata as well, as previously the 2.5" Evo. As I assume that's the long-term performance issue you thought about?

Hmm, I'm not sure how recently this has been revisited, but I know after the original firmware fix or two, the issue still persisted, at least in some testing?

http://techreport.com/review/27727/some-840-evos-still-vulnerable-to-read-speed-slowdowns

In any case as others have said I would be grabbing a current drive like an 850 EVO, the laptop you have sounds like it will be old enough it won't be able to take full advantage of any SSD, old or new, so I wouldn't stress about it too much. Plus there's been quite a bit of evolution in SSDs since the 830 and 840 EVO series,

Also I just noticed:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/533?vs=1395

Samsung 830 128GB vs. 850 EVO 120GB; the "heavy" workload shows the 830 is faster, but if you actually read what the heavy workload comprises, it's actually pretty heavy, typical enthusiast desktop use is much, much better represented by the light workload, and in that the 850 EVO is definitely the way to go, as well as in virtually every other aspect, including power consumption.

Hmm, I'm not sure how recently this has been revisited, but I know after the original firmware fix or two, the issue still persisted, at least in some testing?

http://techreport.com/review/27727/some-840-evos-still-vulnerable-to-read-speed-slowdowns

In any case as others have said I would be grabbing a current drive like an 850 EVO, the laptop you have sounds like it will be old enough it won't be able to take full advantage of any SSD, old or new, so I wouldn't stress about it too much. Plus there's been quite a bit of evolution in SSDs since the 830 and 840 EVO series,

Also I just noticed:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/533?vs=1395

Samsung 830 128GB vs. 850 EVO 120GB; the "heavy" workload shows the 830 is faster, but if you actually read what the heavy workload comprises, it's actually pretty heavy, typical enthusiast desktop use is much, much better represented by the light workload, and in that the 850 EVO is definitely the way to go, as well as in virtually every other aspect, including power consumption.

Now that Samsung still are struggling to get it right with their TLC Nand I think I better stay clear of the 840 Evo, 850 Evo mSata as well as they both uses same Nand unlike 850 Evo 2.5".

I knew about the problem with TLC drives losing data after some months, though not how many months which it takes. About 4 months according to the link.

Good to see that the 830 mSata 128gb which uses MLC not is too far behind the 840/850 Evo in performance. Approximately what I believed as the 840/850 is the smallest drives in their series unlike the 830 128gb mSata which is available in 32, 64, 128 and 256gb.

So I think I better go for the 830 mSata 128 or 256gb then. Not quite the fastest option but as that doesn't matter for most of the time as it is going to be used with Pata-interface and it should be far less troublesome as it is a proven good product. Samsung needs to get it right with their next firmware before I can consider any of their TLC drives.

I would grab an 850 EVO over an old 830.

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_850_evo_msata_ssd_review

The Samsung 850 EVO mSATA is pretty much identical to the previously reviewed 2.5 inch 850 EVO, which proved to be an impressive SSD by offering bar-setting performance and fantastic endurance coupled with a competitive price point. As such, the mSATA version of Samsung’s newest SSD line features the same 3D V-NAND technology,

The TLC 3D V-NAND used in the newest Samsung 850 EVO has been in use long enough (well over a year) now I don't think anyone has reported performance degradation problems.

It's the older 840 EVO that had conventional planar TLC that had performance issues, not the 850 EVO.

If you need confirmation from Samsung directly that the 850 EVO mSATA uses 3D V-NAND and not the older stuff:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-M5E120BW

Innovative 3D V-NAND Technology