reader50

Any word of new 2.5 drives above 2 TB?

On 10/25/2018 at 7:07 PM, jtsn said:

Interesting pattern, but if the firmware doesn't fool me, write performance looks fine so far, averaging at about 130 MB/s for the outer 100 GB.

It did, it uses device-managed SMR is not usable for anything except cold storage with command response times up to half a minute.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, jtsn said:

I have a Toshiba L200 (2 TB, 9.5mm, about 80 € incl. VAT) here now, too. According to Toshiba it doesn't feature SMR. I'm running a 100 GB write test now to compare it to the atrocious performance I got from the Seagate 2TB SMR drive (in the range of 30 MB/s).

Why would you get a 2TB SMR drive, when there are 9.5mm 2.5" 2TB drives that don't use SMR? Spinpoint M9T and whatever Seagate calls it now. 

35 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

Why would you get a 2TB SMR drive, when there are 9.5mm 2.5" 2TB drives that don't use SMR? Spinpoint M9T and whatever Seagate calls it now. 

Seagate ceased production of the Spinpoint M9T, so it is sold out on my local market.

Anyway, none of the new 2 TB 2.5in drives is specifically advertised as "SMR". You simply buy one and then you find out you got a lemon. Additionally Toshiba's SMR implementation is worse than Seagate's. At least the 7mm Barracuda 2 TB doesn't already throw up with a bunch of 100 MB files thrown at it.