Adam_a

Seagate NAS HDD 8TB Review Discussion

Seagate's well-established line of NAS HDDs makes use of specialized firmware (NASWorks) that optimizes the drives for use in a server setting. The most notable reasons for choosing one of Seagate's NAS drives in lieu their standard desktop drives pertain to vibration and power consumption. The NAS drives are equipped with dual-plane balanced motors that attenuate the vibrations that HDDs typically make. In a typical SOHO NAS setting, wherein up to 8 HDDs are spinning simultaneously, gratuitous vibrations could potentially disrupt performance or damage the drives themselves. Now that NAS servers are becoming more prevalent in the consumer market, specialized NAS drives that account for the added vibrations have become essential. Another common issue with any server is temperature control, which is more or less dependent on the energy use of the drives. Seagate's NAS drives are more energy efficient than typical desktop drives, which helps with heat production as well as running costs.

Seagate NAS HDD 8TB Review

Has anybody used 16 of these drives in a RAID 6 setup? I have quite a few RAID 6, 16/24 bay HGST 6TB NAS (non-enterprise drives )configs working fine but need more space for a new setup. Don't have any recent experience with consumer NAS from Seagate and using them in more then 8 bays?

They're not "intended" for that but by most accounts, you should be fine. If you're in a rack though, the enterprise NAS drives do have better tools in place to take account of the additional variables introduced in the data center.

Thanks for the reply. They would be in a rack. Perhaps I'll take a chance as there is not an HGST non-enterprise equivalent. It's been a number of years since using Seagate but your review and others indicate this is a solid NAS drive.

If you need full on nearline SATA drives instead of lower-end "NAS" marketed drives, note that the Seagate Enterprise Capacity 8TB (ST8000NM0055) isn't too much more than the Seagate NAS 8TB (ST8000VN0002) in the review... at least on Amazon I see the Enterprise Capacity is currently $20/drive cheaper (!).

Checking further I was thinking Seagate Enterprise 8TB (ST8000NM0055) is the NAS version. But it is not. Just an enterprise drive vs the Seagate Enterprise NAS 8TB (ST8000NE0001). I'm looking to put 16 drives in a rack mount and RAID6 it to use as a direct attach to a Mac Pro with an Areca 1882 series controller. This will file serve to AFP Mac clients opening and working over a 10GB ethernet pipe of large photoshop and indesign files. About 20 users accessing this RAID.

What will be the difference using the less expensive Enterprise 055 model vs the more expensive Enterprise NAS 001 model? Because 001 is a lot more money. Perhaps the 8TB NAS ST8000VN0002 would be sufficient, even though not designed for more then 8 bays.

Note I've been using the relatively inexpensive HGST's 6TB NAS and they have been fine. They don't make an 8TB model other then the Helium's which are a lot more money and throw me over budget. Especially since I have to buy 16 additional drives that go into another enclosure as a RAID 5 that nightly clones this RAID 6.

Thanks.

In a NetGear NAS I had 6 x 4tb HD
For a test, I switch 2 HD out with Seagates ST8000VN0002 (8tb).
The heat difference is very clear with fan set to Normal where the 4TB is average around 35 C, but the 8tb is 44 C.
During a restore that took 24 hours, the 8tb got close to 50 C and I had to put the Fan up to max cool which helped, but also uses more power.
There is also this annoying noise from the 8tb like is writing/reading all the time which makes it shitty to have in a living room. 
I think ill be testing some other 8tb too.

I keep my NAS in the basement for both cooling and noise issues, but that's not an option for everyone. Plus the spiders like it ;)

so sg 8tb nas is noisy? sg claims 25/26 db while wd claims 20/29 db

anyone can compare noise of sg 8tb nas for idle/seek with sg 8tb desktop and wd 8tb red

thanks in advance