Sign in to follow this  
jwells

Performance Boost to Adding 2nd SSD?

My current desktop PC at home currently has an all HDD setup, with O/S and Apps on one HDD and data files on another. I want to build a new PC and this time around I want to use solid state storage for O/S, Apps, and smaller data files. I will also get a big 6TB HDD for video files, movies and the like. The two choices I'm considering are:

1) get a large 2TB SSD, partition it, and put O/S and Apps on one partition and smaller data files on another partition, or

2) get two 1TB SSD's, and put O/S and Apps on one and smaller data files on the other. I need a fairly large O/S drive as I have multiple operating systems and copies each.

The main consideration is this: would getting two SSD drives provide for perceptively snappier system response compared to putting everything on the same drive? It certainly helps to divide the work when using HDD's so that file opening doesn't bog down the system and vice versa. But I don't know if the same holds true in the world of solid state. Any input would be very helpful. BTW, the SSD's would be Samsung EVO or PRO SATA III in 2.5" form factor.

Edited by jwells

For everyday general computing tasks (Office, Internet, etc), a single SSD drive is all you need. Perceptually, you'll not notice a difference. Perhaps in a benchmark you'll register a blip of something, but again as a human, you won't.

Just get a single SSD drive, don't divide and partition it; just install WIndows and away you go.

RAID-0 of 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSDs controlled by

Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL in ASUS P5Q Deluxe,

Intel Q6600 CPU slightly overclocked:

http://supremelaw.org/systems/io.tests/4xSamsung.840.Pro.SSD.RR2720.P5Q.Deluxe.Direct.IO.2.jpg

4xSamsung.840.Pro.SSD.RR2720.P5Q.Deluxe.

Believe me, I feel the difference!

The top speed levels off because that DMI 2.0 link

has a raw upstream bandwidth of 2.0 GB/second.

This next measurement is also a RAID-0 of 4 x Samsung 850 Pro 128GB SSDs

also controlled by a Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL in an ASUS P5Q Premium,

Intel Q9550 CPU, same DMI 2.0 link, also ALIGNED with PartitionWizard

before running ATTO:

http://supremelaw.org/systems/io.tests/4xSamsung.850.Pro.SSD.RR2720.P5Q.Premium.Direct.IO.1.jpg

4xSamsung.850.Pro.SSD.RR2720.P5Q.Premium

Slightly slower top speeds, but the DMI 2.0 ceiling

is the major limitation on max bandwidth.

What mitchm3 said-- for practical, general use a single SSD is easier and probably more reliable.

OTOH, if you do have some sort of particularly disk-intensive application, then multiple SSD's (often independent-- i.e. system/boot drive and a scratch disk) might be the way to go, sometimes in RAID, sometimes not.

Modern SSD controllers and NAND configuration generally seems to have a 480/500/512GB-class sweet spot for optimal performance so I generally would not recommend smaller SSDs (particularly if you're already shopping with a 2TB size target!), although as MRFS does show, some metrics do scale nicely with more SSD's.