Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
puppyjohn83

Hyperconverged Infrastructure

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Has anyone had an experience with EVO-RAIL/EVO-RACK by VMware? We are in the market for simplicity and ease of administration. Running an IBM SMB blade unit today. Looking for something that can connect up with a NetApp SAN.

Thanks,

John

1 person likes this

EVORail is still a thing I suppose (not sure if NetApp still sells it), but hasn't had market success. That's in large part why VMware and EMC went back to the drawing board and came up with VxRail, which incidentally Dell is now also reselling:

http://www.storagereview.com/emc_vmware_introduce_hci_vce_vxrail_appliance_family

It does what you're asking for in terms of simplicity for sure. Help me out though...sounds like you want to retire the IBM blades, which makes sense. You want to keep the NetApp though? Is the plan to eventually transition off that as well? Otherwise what simplicity are you hoping for rather than putting new VMware servers in play to manage the NetApp?

EMC's VXRail is pretty sweet, at least the latest iterations and new HW. The initial release based on EVORAIL was rather pathetic IMO.

Otherwise, I've also got customers that have both Nutanix and Simplivity, which those three mentioned, those are pretty much the leaders in Hyperconverged, you should start there.

Then there is always the converged story or reference system. Flexpod, VSPEX, VCE, etc...

NOTE: the true hyperconverged systems do not need your NetApp. You could connect to it via NFS or iSCSI though, but again, not needed. Let it be a NAS, it's what it's best for.