Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basem

1 GbE iSCSI performance against virtualized Databases

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have this scenario,

I am going to setup vSphere cluster, ESXi hosts will be connected to HP MSA 1040 via iSCSI connectivity (1 GbE).

there are Databases servers that will be migrated as virtual machines into this cluster.

I have read HP best practices and noticed this values of HDDs performance regarding to different protocols, I have attached the picture...

My question is, regarding to Sequential Reads and Write MB/s, it is so low with "1GbE iSCSI" in comparison with 10 GbE or FC...

does this issue will forms bad impact on Databases performance (Oracle and MS SQL Server)??

thank you in advanced...

post-103383-0-43847800-1459972435_thumb.

It's a bottleneck for sure! At the very least you can use MPIO, which helps some if you have distributed databases vs a large monolithic one. Though more than anything, you need to understand your database access pattern. This would better dictate what you may need.

But for iSCSI, 10GbE is key since you don't have 4-8GB FC. You can always add that to that model SAN as an upgrade. But of course you need to have the right switches and hosts to support it, So it's not just the NIC alone...

1 person likes this

What are you consuming from each host right now? A faster network connection really only helps you if you are saturating it completely already.

1 person likes this