Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basem

#RAID 10
RAID Design

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I am a new to Storage World..

I am obligated to set design for new SAN (HP MSA 1040 g4, this SAN consists of 24 Disks) that will serves for VMware virtualization environment...

I am going to divide the 24 HDDs as following:

all the Disks will be 1.8 TB, 10K, 2.5-inch

3 x LUNs RAID 5 (consists of 4 Disks) so each LUN size will be 5.4 TB, these LUNs will be for silver workload...

2 x LUNs RAID 10 (consists of 4 Disks) so each LUNs size will be 3.6 TB, these two LUNs for golden workload (Databases and Critical business Virtual Machines)...

the remaining Disks (4 Disks) will be as Hot Spare...

I need your opinion...

Thank you in advanced

I've worked with the DotHill platforms for a while now, and while they do OEM builds for the HP MSA line I'm not completely sure what your interface looks like. With that said, do you know if you are using the "Linear" pool creation, or virtual pools?

Maybe a screencap of how the LUNs or pools are created would help.

My overall plan would be using your RAID5 disks and making one large RAID5 pool split into the 3 disk groups. This way you would have one large 16TB pool to carve out your LUNs from, and gain some performance through the controller striping across the disk groups in a RAID50-fashion.

On your RAID10 disks I would do something similar, making 4 RAID1 disk group pairs on your other controller, again giving you the benefits of striping.

1 person likes this

I'm sure HPE has some great whitepapers on best practices for LUN design based on workload types....

Otherwise, call your re-seller up, ask them to speak to an HPE SE, and get his take on best practices.

1 person likes this