Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Seagate Releases The First USB-Powered Desktop Hard Drive, Innov8

Desktop hard drives are still widely sold and used by consumers, from storing computer backups to business files to multimedia that needs to be saved but not taking up computer space. Most users that have some sort of external storage that needs to be plugged in taking up outlets in a world where more and more things need to be plugged in (at least for recharging). USB 3.1 technology is changing the game in separate power supplies. Apple was the first to really jump on this with their new MacBook they release last year. Through one port they were able to satisfy all of the connectivity for their device. Seagate is looking for the same ability in its desktop hard drive using its Ignition Boost Technology. Seagate likens their new technology to a car battery kick starting an engine. And when combined with USB 3.1, there is no need for an external power supply.

Seagate Releases The First USB-Powered Desktop Hard Drive, Innov8

Copy and paste from the Seagate press release, including the errors from the Seagate press release writer who does not know hard disks.

How long has StorageReview been testing had disks to know that a desktop drive must be heavier than 150 gram?

Yes the Seagate web site shows 150 gram as well.

But the data sheet shows 1.5 kg or or 3.307 lb.

Anyway - what is "Ignition Boost Technology"? A super capacitor to boost the power supply when the disk spins up? A little battery to even out power demand spikes?

Answers to such questions is what I expect from StorageReview.

Typos aren't the end of the world. Also Seagate hasn't provided a review sample yet, nor additional information on the Ignition Boost Technology. When one is available for review we can explore that further.

Again, someone chopping a 0 off the weight making 1500 into 150 isn't a world ending event.

Interesting innovation, but I would be more interested in having drive-less bus-powered enclosures to put my own 3.5in hard drives in. I'm not really fond of having to buy a unnecessary Seagate HDD with it.

For me the power supply thing is mostly a non-issue, because I use bare desktop drives inside USB/eSATA docking stations and tray-less mobile racks. Docking stations stay on the desk and are powered on their own while mobile racks are simply powered by the PC PSU.

Of course, doing that one has to be cautious because of ESD (sadly SeaShield is long gone), but that is not much different from handling bare optical discs, were you carefully have to avoid touching or scratching them, too.

OTOH USB enclosures don't solve the most immediate danger while handling 3.5in HDDs: mechanical damage. The latter is the best reason to avoid them and buy robust 2.5in hard drives instead. Also those are bus-powered for a decade already.

Yes, typos aren't the end of the world. I just assumed that someone working for StorageReview would spot the mistake immediately like a car magazine who gets a press release claiming "the new Audi A8 has a top speed of 29 km/h".