Sign in to follow this  
etsrad

Fast SSDs in VMWare local storage?

Hi, I wanted to upgrade some of our disks (local disks that are Toshiba SSDs) in our Dell VMWare host to something considerably faster and looked into the Intel 750s but realized they are more for consumers due to low writes/day and durability...which sucks because the pricepoint is great for its performance!

Are there equivalent, similar pricepoint, same performance SSDs (2.5" or PCIe) enterprise or semi-enterprise grade SSDs that could work?

Thanks.

What is your budget and what capacity are you shooting for? Also are you looking for 2.5" or HHHL NVMe or SATA/SAS 2.5"?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, trying to keep budget around the same cost as the Intel 750 800GB but that seems unfeasible...

For my ESX Dell 730xd server trying to get to ~3TB in Raid 5 or 10....or if a PCIe not sure how Raid works with it or if I even need it

Currently we have Toshiba PX02SMF080, 8 of them in Raid 10 (again, local storage, no SAN)

Below are the ports available in the server

Drive Bays

Internal hard drive bay and hot-plug backplane:
Up to 18 x 1.8” SSD: SATA
Up to 24 x 2.5” + 2 x 2.5” HDD: SAS, SATA, Near-line SAS SSD: SAS, SATA,

Up to 4 NVMe Express Flash PCIe
Up to 16 x 3.5” + 2 x 2.5” HDD: SAS, SATA, Near-line SAS SSD: SAS, SATA

In VMware there's not a software RAID option, so if you want to go NVMe in that system, you're going to have individual datastores for each card. Is that an option?

Hi, it is an option if there are larger drives, preferably 1.6TB or above but I guess 1.2TB would be ok too.

FYI, I have a similar topic for desktops open as well if you have any suggestions.

Thnks, but just so to be clear..there is no 1.2TB SSD option with the same performance as Intel 750 for the same or a little more price, SATA/SAS or PCIEx3?

Oh, my comments were related to RAID. You can do this -

http://www.storagereview.com/memblaze_pblaze4_aic_nvme_ssd_review

But in a desktop be sure you're adding extra cooling.

Browse through the recent reviews -

http://www.storagereview.com/reviews/enterprise/ssd

For client systems, Intel released some new stuff today. We didn't get pre-briefed and I've been in meetings all day. Not sure if they upped any capacities.