Sign in to follow this  
etsrad

Fast desktop SSDs?

Hey all, we currently use the Samsung Pro 850 SSD drives in our Dell desktops today but want something a bit faster and am looking into the Intel 750....but as far as I can tell the Intel 750 (2.5" or the PCIe) won't fit into the desktop motherboards (different connectors or whatever among other things)......any ideas on how to get around this? Is there another SSD that I should look at that is comparable/faster than the 750s?

Thanks.

What's the workload and budget? It's a little strange to be looking for incremental performance boost.

Very heavy excel workbooks and proprietary applications....trying to keep the cost around the same as the Intel 750 400GB model but could go a bit higher as long as performance is comparable or better

Thanks.

Well you could just add another Samsung and go RAID0 so long as you have good backup policy.

Really though if this is a Windows system, use task manager and performance monitor to see where the stress is. I'd be surprised if it's SSD.

What are the CPUs in the system and what's the RAM config?

How much more performance would the Raid0 give me? How about Raid1?

CPU is a core i7 with 8GB ram....and both of those on task manager seem fine

RAID0 is twice as fast roughly, 1 is mirror, no gain.

What's the storage impact in task manager?

Could be your application is your bottleneck.

As Brian said I would be curious where your bottleneck actually is. I doubt Excel is actually disk I/O bound if you're already on an SSD and have a system with enough memory, but I am not an Excel expert (nor do I know what other applications you are using) so it's hard to say.

If it's very small I/O's then upgrading to systems that can run NVMe SSD's and suitable NVMe SSD's such as the Samsung 950 Pro might be the way to go?