Sign in to follow this  
WassupDoc

120GXP owners: is this normal?

I just purchased a 80GB to accompany my 75GXP, the thing that bothers me is that it periodically accesses the hd for 1-2 sec every 15 mins. This has mystifyed me as that it does this when I have no programs running and that I don't recall the 75GXP ever doing this. Is this just part of the drives diagnostics procedure or my drive bad.

I just purchased a 80GB to accompany my 75GXP, the thing that bothers me is that it periodically accesses the hd for 1-2 sec every 15 mins.  This has mystifyed me as that it does this when I have no programs running and that I don't recall the 75GXP ever doing this.  Is this just part of the drives diagnostics procedure or my drive bad.

Are you running Windows XP? If so this may be normal.

Culprets(more than likely):

Word (Indexing, can remove by going to add/remove programs then modifiyting)

Win XP Indexing service - turn off by doing a search and looign for the option.

otherwise use [start] -> run... ->msconfig to check out whats starting up.

If you are running IBM’s SmartDefender software (it’s SMART monitoring software), this will also periodically access / scan the drive, although you can control the frequency of this.

If you’re not already running this, I’d suggest you do so.

Some resons for drive accessing.

1. swap file swapping, shifiting unused files outta memory. happens a fair bit with me and win2k, specially after a heavy gaming session. :)

2. application with regular saves/checking/loading

3. internal SMART drive recalibration

4. microsoft stealing your data/ seeing what your doing! lol

I just purchased a 80GB to accompany my 75GXP, the thing that bothers me is that it periodically accesses the hd for 1-2 sec every 15 mins.  This has mystifyed me as that it does this when I have no programs running and that I don't recall the 75GXP ever doing this.  Is this just part of the drives diagnostics procedure or my drive bad.

FWIW, the IBM UltraStar 36LZX does something like this, but every 10 (idle) minutes not every 15. On that drive, it's something done in the firmware. It's almost certainly the same thing on your 120GXP.

I just purchased a 80GB to accompany my 75GXP, the thing that bothers me is that it periodically accesses the hd for 1-2 sec every 15 mins.  This has mystifyed me as that it does this when I have no programs running and that I don't recall the 75GXP ever doing this.  Is this just part of the drives diagnostics procedure or my drive bad.

FWIW, the IBM UltraStar 36LZX does something like this, but every 10 (idle) minutes not every 15. On that drive, it's something done in the firmware. It's almost certainly the same thing on your 120GXP.

My 75GXP does it every 10mins, and it dosen't bother me.

Some resons for drive accessing.  

1. swap file swapping, shifiting unused files outta memory. happens a fair bit with me and win2k, specially after a heavy gaming session. :)  

2. application with regular saves/checking/loading  

3. internal SMART drive recalibration  

4. microsoft stealing your data/ seeing what your doing! lol

If your new 80GB 120GXP is your boot drive, then chances are...it's swap/page file memory read and writes. Not to mention that Windows XP is probably periodically updating data, checking for updates, etc etc etc.

Actually the UltraStar 36LZX does it almost on a as needed basis. If the model number for it includes the DDYS-T18350, then I am talking about the right one. I know that with mine...I've had nights where it would be doing it about every 30 seconds or so, while on other nights, it won't do it at all. According to IBM (from another thread, elsewhere on this forum) that the drive recalibrates itself every now and then. (And that's 30 seconds continuously through the night)

My guess is that it's either recalibrating, or it's the SMART. Although I wouldn't rule out any WinXP system stuff yet. So, put them together...and that's probably what you get (pretty much). It's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of it since it can be a number of different things, and you don't necessarily notice them running nowadays with the drives being that fast.

why on earth did u buy an ibm?...:P

Cos hes a sucker... ehehh

Shame on you! Is that how you greet a newcomer to the board?

Leo

i am the newcomer and nobody greeted me and anyone browsing these forums obviously cant read ..beacus ethey bought an IBM common sense really in it :P

Good, so its not just me. I guess its probably the drive recalibrating since my page file is on the loud 75GXP. I got another IBM cause I've been lucky with them. Not so lucky with other brands.

im using winxp... have some 75gxp's and a 120gxp and i can tell you that the HD accessing itslef is NOT in the formware... because mine sure don't access themselves unless im using them.

It is however normal for *most* peoples systems to periodically access the HDD for whatever reason.... But this is a software based problem... not a hardware one...

run a clean system.. ex: clean up services, check msconfig for startup leeches, dont install junk software, etc... and you won't have this problem...

Are you running Windows XP? If so this may be normal.

Running Windows XP is not an explanation. It shouldn't access the HD if there's isn't an application or process (CTRL+Alt+Del to see them) needing to do so.

Windows XP (clean installation) should make the drive turn off after the preset amount of time. Mine turns never cause it runs F@h/UD think, which both access the drive now and then.

Could be the SMART feature of the drive, see if there is someplace to turn that off in CMOS

Also drives to do periodic recals for thermal compensations purposes. No way to turn that off.

but as you see here, there could be a Bajillion reasons why a drive would seek.

Running Windows XP is not an explanation. It shouldn't access the HD if there's isn't an application or process (CTRL+Alt+Del to see them) needing to do so.

WinXP does stuff with the drive's contents (rearranging some things for faster disk access or something like that) when the computer is otherwise idle. IOW, XP itself often does disk access when no other programs are loaded or are doing disk access. That's why WinXP is an explanation.

Actually the UltraStar 36LZX does it almost on a as needed basis. If the model number for it includes the DDYS-T18350, then I am talking about the right one.

Actually, it depends on the firmware revision. :) (All of the ones I've seen do it exactly every 10 continuous idle minutes. I haven't seen any with the new firmware that does it differently.)

If you are running IBM’s SmartDefender software (it’s SMART monitoring software), this will also periodically access / scan the drive, although you can control the frequency of this.

If you’re not already running this, I’d suggest you do so.

Do *NOT* install this software. It hosed my Win9x install pretty good, made my drive make a strange sound, and apparently caused a bad sector.

I tried installing it onto W2K, thinking the problem was Win98se, not the program, and it gave me access violation problems right after it finished installing and attempted to run.

I would suggest instead, "DTemp". Do a web search to find it.

im using winxp... have some 75gxp's and a 120gxp and i can tell you that the HD accessing itslef is NOT in the formware... because mine sure don't access themselves unless im using them.

That's odd, because the firmware update for the 75GXP (and assumedly, the current firmware for their newer drives), includes features to avoid the heads dwelling on any particular track for too long, so it moves the heads around every few minutes at idle times. So yes, the firmware does make slight accessing sounds.