Sign in to follow this  
mitchm3

Home NAS with drive tiering?

Are there any home NAS systems with drive tiering functions?

I'm looking for a 4 drive+ system that perhaps I can pop in an SSD drive and some 3-4TB drives, and it can cache frequently used data on the SSD disk.

Usually reserved for enterprise systems, I'm wondering if any makers like thecus, synology, qnap, etc have tinkered in this space?

As an aside I already have a Synology DS213 which I love (More so DSM). But with more media being saved, and dabbling with IP security cam's on it, it's starting to show it's age and performance (or lack thereof) If I could stick with Synology, that would be awesome, since migration from one platform to another is easy peazy. But I do not think they offer drive tiering...

Just to nitpick some, there is a difference between caching and tiering. Anyway...yes, Synology has offered caching since DSM 5.0 (June, 2014) but back then it was only offered on some XS and XS+ series systems and in the early days it was kind of goofy and pretty limited. Today though, it's as simple as tossing in an two SSDs or more...depending on what you want, and enabling the feature. Very simple and can be used for read and write or read only caching.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/genericssdcache

To mount SSD cache:
  1. Install two SSDs into your Synology NAS. Please see the notes above first.
  2. Go to Storage Manager > SSD Cache. Click Create.
  3. Select the cache mode (only available for models that support read-write cache).
  4. Find the drop-down menu and select the volume or iSCSI LUN (Block-Level) on which you wish to mount the SSD cache.
  5. Choose two SSDs from the list. Data on the SSDs will be erased, so please make sure no important data will be deleted.
  6. Click Apply.