Sign in to follow this  
mitchm3

VMware workstation -new PC build

Recommended Posts

Looking for a new PC build for VMware Workstation. Obviously I want as many cores as possible. But do I want to spring for an i7, or will the lesser AMD stuff these days suffice and/or do better? I feel like an i5 isn't enough with 4 cores/4threads. Where as an i7 can do 8 threads, and I think AMD's latest have 6 cores and X threads? I dunno, perhaps I just have peni.... I mean CPU envy?

VM's will be an adhoc mix of mint for trivial tasks. Playing with openstack type products, swift, KVM, etc. Perhaps even virtualizing a vCenter environment within workstation....

I'd say 20% of the time I'll be running a virtual workload, the other 80% of the time will be my personal workstation, doing a whole lot of nothing difficult at all. e.g. web, streaming, torrenting, etc...

Please post up your rigs and what you use, as well as what workloads you're putting on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"for trivial tasks" -- suggests you don't need a dedicated core for most of them then, and consequently total core count probably isn't a huge deal.

If you only have a few tasks that actually need performance I wouldn't worry about total cores/threads count and instead just buy the best CPU for your primary task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've thought about doing more content around home lab setups for virtualization but it's just not something we've had time to do. As an aside, if anyone is interested in such, please let us know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that is content I'd love to see!

I think I'm on a 6 core Phenom II chip (circa 2010), with 8GB of RAM, contemplating bumping that up to 16GB soon. All VM's run on an SSD drive, single drive at the moment. I'll have to open up CPUID to see what I'm really running.. But it's a dated box for sure. So seeing new HW/SW in a review can sway me to upgrade.

Things I usually run are an AD server, Mint, SQL, various flavors of *nix for testing. And a few other special VM's for beta testing new products or lab validation of products. Some of these testing VM's require 2-4 vCPU's, 16GB of RAM, and 5TB of disk space, as a minimum. (One of my other threads asking about SSD caching is for this very reason)

That said, somethings I'd love to see in an article

Which workstation virtualization tool works best e.g. pro's/cons. (I currently use vmware workstation 12 Pro)

Performance of processor types (a generation or two past, up to latest and greatest i7/FX)

Performance of disk types, as well as formatting of disks for VMDK/VHD type workloads

I'd also like to see some info on over-provisioning a VM in terms of CPU/RAM and what that does to performance.

Perhaps even a tips and tricks section for virtualizing stuff... How best to P2V, how to virtualize a full vSphere environment, OSX, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this