Sign in to follow this  
Flintz

WinXP not bootable after crash

I AM GOING CRAZY, sorry, but everytime my WinXP crashes i can't boot after a reboot. Sometimes the registry is damaged, sometimes a file called hal.dll is corrput and everytime I get lots of errors on my harddrive.

I have 2 WD400BB on a HPT37ß raid-chip onboard (but not in raid-0, they are just running as normales harddrives). I really don't know why this happens, even the old Win98 was able to boot after a crash. The harddrives are physically ok, I checked them with Spinrite.

Please post any ideas u have, why this happens.

well..how far do you get into your reboot phase?

Sounds like that it's truncating your system files when it goes through the check. Ever tried crashing it and NOT letting it do the hard disk check?

This time I had luck, I ran NTFSDOS and ran ntfschk, it could repair all errors (and there were much errors, about 30-50....) after that my PC booted normally again, but the times before I didn't had that much luck...is XP really so easily "broken"? Or is it something with my setup

This may be one of the known stability bugs in Windows XP. MS has a hotfix but it is apparently not a real solution. (Isn't XP supposed to be stable?)

This time I had luck, I ran NTFSDOS and ran ntfschk, it could repair all errors (and there were much errors, about 30-50....) after that my PC booted normally again, but the times before I didn't had that much luck...is XP really so easily "broken"? Or is it something with my setup

Those files should not be corrupted that easily. I've had very poor luck with Highpoint drivers. I've also has roommates that had very poor luck with Highpoint drivers. From my experience that make Promise look good. I would not run on them if I were you. The documentation on how to determine what is crashing is at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q192463

I expect you problem is a lousy IDE interface. I would not be running on a HPT37B.

Sivar and alpha754293 no software is stable when you run it on junk.

um...actually...I've had a LOT less stablity with my Solaris system than ANY windows system. And as you can see by the specs of the Solaris system, I am pretty sure that you could call that "junk" (and I would agree with you too).

I've already had to reboot my system 4 times today (on my WinXP system) because it crashed. (And that's since noon by the way...within 6 hours)

Ive found that XP is far more robust than other windows versions...

But Ive also found that when it gets upset, it gets very upset...

um...actually...I've had a LOT less stablity with my Solaris system than ANY windows system. And as you can see by the specs of the Solaris system, I am pretty sure that you could call that "junk" (and I would agree with you too).

I've already had to reboot my system 4 times today (on my WinXP system) because it crashed. (And that's since noon by the way...within 6 hours)

Less stability or less PROBLEMS with stability? The post is a bit confusing (to me).

Ive found that XP is far more robust than other windows versions...

But Ive also found that when it gets upset, it gets very upset...

When comparing just Windows versions, I myself have found Windows 2000 to be the least flaky, but then, not everyone uses just Windows. ;-)

Windows has advantages over other OSes such as Unix as well, so it's all good. Use both.

I AM GOING CRAZY, sorry, but everytime my WinXP crashes i can't boot after a reboot. Sometimes the registry is damaged, sometimes a file called hal.dll is corrput and everytime I get lots of errors on my harddrive.

I have 2 WD400BB on a HPT37ß raid-chip onboard (but not in raid-0, they are just running as normales harddrives). I really don't know why this happens, even the old Win98 was able to boot after a crash. The harddrives are physically ok, I checked them with Spinrite.

Windows XP shouldn't be crashing that much. Try to find out what's making it crash. (At least, tell us what happens after it crashes but before the machine reboots. Is it just freezing, or is there a dialog box or blue screen appearing, or is it just a spontaneous reboot?)

As a workaround, see if using FAT32 instead of NTFS avoids data loss. I've seen some situations where crash-prone (due to buggy drivers or bad hardware) Win2K machines lose less data with FAT32 filesystems than with NTFS.

with my new system, mine just freezes (especially when it's an ICQ/IE/Winamp mix....) and then..my screen would go blank, and then my monitor would go into power saving mode.

to clarify: it's less problems with stability. (thank you Sivar)

Did I say I had luck? Hmpf, yes the szstem ran well but today I wanna start my szstem, and what happens??? My registry is damaged again...

I expect you problem is a lousy IDE interface. I would not be running on a HPT37B.

Thats probably the point, maybe I will try to connec the drives to the normal IDE controller.

You probably have bad memory, pal. As simple as that. Go to http://www.memtest86.com to verify.

Leo

I am currently testing my memory, but I am 99% sure that the memory is ok....I spoke with someone who had EXACTLY the same issue and he said, after he went back to Win2000 everthing was fine again....

But now I am curious about which XP version has this issue. He and I both used WinXP Prof. Corporate Version. Now I wonder if the normal Prof. or Home has the same problem.....

I am currently testing my memory, but I am 99% sure that the memory is ok....I spoke with someone who had EXACTLY the same issue and he said, after he went back to Win2000 everthing was fine again....

But now I am curious about which XP version has this issue. He and I both used WinXP Prof. Corporate Version. Now I wonder if the normal Prof. or Home has the same problem.....

It would also help to list your hardware specs.

Leo

I am currently testing my memory, but I am 99% sure that the memory is ok....

If you want any level of certainty from memtest86, you need to let it run for at least 12 hours, preferably at least 24 hours if you can. (I'm just reminding you in case you weren't aware of that. BTW, I'm not completely sure where this rule came from; my best guess is that it's an empirical observation the Linux kernel developers made when helping people troubleshoot their systems.)

I am currently testing my memory, but I am 99% sure that the memory is ok....

If you want any level of certainty from memtest86, you need to let it run for at least 12 hours, preferably at least 24 hours if you can. (I'm just reminding you in case you weren't aware of that. BTW, I'm not completely sure where this rule came from; my best guess is that it's an empirical observation the Linux kernel developers made when helping people troubleshoot their systems.)

Probably the same source for CPU burn-in tests (running utterly useless computations for 24 hours to stress the CPU).

I think that it was also used to test to see if the CPU would survive it or if the system would crash under heavy stress. (Probably something along those lines.)

It passed 12 tests without an error, but only for 3-4 hours...maybe I run it again for 12 hours or more, but I currently havent got so much time.

My Specs:

P4 2GHz Northwood

Abit TH7-II Raid (HPT 370 onboard chip)

1 GB RDRAM (4x256MB Kingston modules)

2xWD400BB 40 GB 7200 RPM, 1xIBM 30 GB 7200 RPM

GeForce4 Ti4200

Soundblaster Audigy Player

Intel 100 Ethernet card

I think that I've read somewhere on here where people are saying that the Win XP Corporate Version is like....a major POS. Try it with the regular Win XP Pro and see what happens.

I think that I've read somewhere on here where people are saying that the Win XP Corporate Version is like....a major POS

The Corporate Edition is exactly the same as Pro, but it doesn't require activation, and uses a different product key.

oh....than in that case...I might actually be runing WinXP Corporate Edition then....*shrugs*...I have no idea....

Ok, I tested my RAM for 18 hours with Memtest 3.0 in extended test mode now, now errors so far.

I found two identical 10 GB IBM drives and will try them soon.

Another idea i had was that maybe my northbridge gets too hot (it only has a passive heatsink), what do u think?

RAID0 should better be called AID0, There is no redundancy, and the probs you describe are typical of IDE rAID0 installs. It is the price you pay. Now SCSI RAID0 and other SCSI RAIDs are for real. When you get sick of IDE disapointments, get SCSI.

:D

What is the chipset of your mobo. I happen to have HDD problem on a VIA 686b south mobo with a HPT370 controller, whenever I connect a 7200rpm ;) new ;) HDD to the controller, stalls and data errors occurs, and XP installetion would hang right after 1st phase is completed ;) I tested on IBM, MAXTOR, SEAGATE drives all exhibit the same errors, but with an OLD IBM 5400rpm HDD ;) the errors are gone(covered? ;) )

Try it for yourself. :lol: