Sign in to follow this  
Flintz

WinXP not bootable after crash

the th7-ii works perfect with xp - my (overclocked ram and cpu) system is living proof

perhaps you should consider using a non-pirated version of windows?

Another idea i had was that maybe my northbridge gets too hot (it only has a passive heatsink), what do u think

plz post your specs man!!!

I have a friend who had a bunch of different problems leading to different BSOD's, crashes, data loss, etc.... the problem was his north bridge overheating (think it was KT333)... he put a fan on it and it works great now.

I would say that a KT266 or above should have a fan on it when used with those stock heat sinks.

I would say that a KT266 or above should have a fan on it when used with those stock heat sinks.

This is a very incorrect statement. First of all, the reasons motherboard makers elected to remove fans from the north-bridge are:

1. Reduced noise (those little 40mm fans are quite obtrusive).

2. Reduced chance of failure (by placing an extra large heat-sink, there is no chance for a fan to fail - see the Asus AMD and Intel PIV boards)

3. Motherboard manufacturers have enough resources to determine whether a chipset requires active cooling. If both Asus and Intel determined that a good heat-sink is more efficient and reliable than a cheap heat-sink/loud fan combo, what makes you think your knowledge is more accurate?

P.S. Hal.dll is the hardware abstraction layer. It is responsible for communicating the kernel mode drives with the actual hardware. If it is corrupt nothing short of a reformat can revive the system (I wouldn't even bother performing a "repair" installation; back up your data and bite the bullet).

I had the same problem with the hard drive on the ABIT TH7II-RAID's HPT370 channel slowly corrupting data with NTFS formatted partitions.

If you copied a large number of files, and then run chkdsk, the drive would report multiple errors, and not be able to fix the drive.

Unfortunatly I did'nt find this until I lost of load of work converting thousands of MP3 files - some of the resulting files were corrupt.

It happened even though the drives were RAID-1.

I then checked with different models of hard drives, on single drives and eventually narrowed it down to the HPT370.

I had to RMA the board twice before I got one that worked.

There is also issues with the Windows driver version matching the version of the HPT370 firmware (can't remember with version) (as included in the m/b bios) - Upgrade the bios to latest and also download the driver from Abit's web site as the versions match, as that version is not available from the highpoint driver page.

I think it may be a issue with this motherboard only, as I have a Epox 8KTA-3+ with the same HPT370 that is working fine (touch wood :wink: ).

If your motherboard is outside it's warrently period, disable the HPT370 and install a another IDE raid card (I purchase a UDMA133 Raid card for about £14 UKP).

I'm considering doing the same, even though it currently works, as the errors creep in slowly and corrupt files stored on the drive.

This is a very incorrect statement. First of all, the reasons motherboard makers elected to remove fans from the north-bridge are: 

1. Reduced noise (those little 40mm fans are quite obtrusive). 

2. Reduced chance of failure (by placing an extra large heat-sink, there is no chance for a fan to fail - see the Asus AMD and Intel PIV boards) 

3. Motherboard manufacturers have enough resources to determine whether a chipset requires active cooling. If both Asus and Intel determined that a good heat-sink is more efficient and reliable than a cheap heat-sink/loud fan combo, what makes you think your knowledge is more accurate? 

I agree that a good heat sink with thermal compound is a MUCH better solution than a crappy heatsink w/ crappy fan.

However, sometimes we are stuck with thee crappy heatsinks(epoxied on)... if you are stuck then you should get a fan, this is all I'm saying.

Please don't be so presumptuous when reading other's posts. It makes you seem arrogant.