Sign in to follow this  
flashyprince

Hard drive docking stations that can support the biggest capacities?

hi guys, i love those little devices...these hard drive docking stations...its super useful for me when i want to do my regular back ups. i do seem to notice that in their product descriptions, they seem to indicate that capacities supported on these docking stations lag behind the largest hard drive capacities available. a lot of them wont go past 2 or 4TB....but these are "tested" capacities...so im wondering maybe larger drives would work, but its just that they havent been tested yet or werent even on the market when the product description was made.

im really looking forward to buying a docking station. preferably one with 2 slots, that could support 8TB drives or more..

anybody knows if this is already on the market..? or it is to be expected soon.

thanks.

post-70424-0-79941200-1456506909.jpg

Edited by flashyprince

The only limit of concern lately is the 2TB drive limit, if a SATA to USB docking station says it supports drives 3TB, 4TB, or larger, you should be good for any disk currently on the market.

• Like 1

really? that has something to do with the 64 bit OS correct?..

For USB storage it means the device supports 16 byte commands (so these can be used instead of 10 byte commands, which are limited to 2 TB). Of course, you also need an OS which supports 16 byte commands itself, but it doesn't have to be a 64 bit OS. Something like Windows 7 x86 supports >2TB disks just fine.

BTW: You can check for support even without having a drive >2TB available by simply checking if the 16 byte commands are implemented.

The reason why you see those "tested capacities" in advertisements, because those resellers don't really have a clue what they sell. They order a container full of some USB gadgets from a Chinese OEM and then "test" what works with it.

Fun fact: eSATA never had any capacity limits. I have still have old USB 2.0 docking stations, which work fine with 4 and 6 TB drives using the eSATA ports.

• Like 1

thanks people..........you guys are hardcore pundits.. i think everyone should own docking stations....its amazing for offsite backups...i just put the drives in one of those cases and ship them to grandma's place.... pretty effective against disasters or burglaries....

only a nuclear strike on my entire city would destroy my data.

cru_dataport_3851_0000_11_drivebox_anti_

Edited by flashyprince