Sign in to follow this  
CrazyElf

SLC 3D NANDS?

I'm curious, we seem to have a considerable market now for MLC and TLC 3D NAND that is typically in the 40 nm range.. for flash size.

Is there any 3D NAND plans for SLC? Or is SLC dying to such an extent that there seems to be a loss of interested for SLC in general, even for the most write intensive applications?

So basically the performance and durability advantages are not useful, save in a few applications?

I suppose that for them, RAM Disks (arguably a better solution), remain better for the most write intensive work? They are faster, less latency, and last long (DRAM rarely ever dies). The only drawback I suppose would be volatility of DRAM.

And expense...DRAM is one of the most expensive elements to any storage system. SLC SSDs were quickly supplanted by MLC and now TLC for cost reasons. At scale MLC was instantly a better option once buyer's were less concerned about flash reliability. I'd guess that in 2017-18 TBs shipped in storage arrays will be topped by TLC drives.

If you want a middle ground between NAND and RAM in performance, 3D Xpoint or something else might be a future option?

As Brian said there's so little dedicated SLC production these days, MLC has more or less taken over, even in enterprise SSD's outside of very niche markets.

The big unknown about Xpoint is still price of course, but also where is the best implementation? I've heard from NetApp they think it's in-server and I've heard from others they want to use it in arrays. Maybe both happen depending on architecture, but either way, it feels like we're some time away from seeing it widely deployed yet. That said, we do know of vendors testing/developing around Xpoint today.