Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iceman107

Video post-production novice seeking advice: storage, software, etc...

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get into doing some post-production video work. I'm greener than green and am in the research phase right now so pardon my ignorance with jargon and knowledge on the subject..

I'm looking to store 300+ hours of video to be edited (eventually). I'm vaguely familiar with RAID hard drives. Would this be the way to go for what I have in mind? In order to have a backup, would I need 2 of these or are there 2 separate drives incorporated into the one unit?

Is there a 'post-video production for Dummies' book or video series for a novice?

Software: I'm thinking of Cyberlink's 'Power Director'.:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/video-and-photo-creative-collection/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

Hardware: ??? Not sure what desktop and laptop would be beneficial.

Any advise for someone looking to start a side business of video restoration, editing, etc... is appreciated.

Peace <><

RAID is just multiple drives combined into one addressable space. Raid is not backup though, you must address that separately. A NAS would be a good option or a direct attached RAID system from WD or LaCie. Really depends on your budget and forecasted data footprint.

Sounds like you need to get more of a bearing on what video post-production work entails before you start spending money on hardware? Given the data rates that editing video can require you can spend a lot of money on stuff you don't need if you misjudge your requirements.

I would start with at least expecting to need three separate disks-- one for OS, one for video source (raw video), and one for video target (finished product), but again that's getting waaay ahead of things so don't get too crazy just yet.

Lynda.com and quite a few other places probably have guides; I don't know too much in this area but I imagine Planet5D, EOS HD, or similar video equipment sites would also have an idea on hardwar/software. When I think video post-production I tend to think Adobe Premier CC, I am not familiar with Cyberlink Power Director's place in modern video workflows.

As far as video restoration I strongly suspect that places that subcontract it out to foreign contractors are going to make it a difficult business model for you, I would suspect editing is going to be more where it's at if you discover you have a talent for it.