Sign in to follow this  
Vampire

Seagate Reliability Lawsuit 1.5 & 3TB

You are calling a company crappy over two specific drive models in external enclosures? Might as well write off HGST and WD and Toshiba while you are at it... everyone has had bad products at certain points.

Two bad drives does not make a company the worst. And if you want to go by 10 year old track records, you might need to write off vendors like IBM/HGST (Deathstar) with that logic. Plan and simple there will always be problems.

This is a multi billion company, it's not like some small company that needs love for making small mistakes.

I don't care about any company, unlike you.

If they make crappy HDD (Chinese components) because they don't care about their customers but only about profit it's their problem, but paying reviewers to praise them and defend them it's utterly pathetic and a shame for such a huge corporation.

But i guess this is capitalism, fool the customer take their money, spit them in the face, pay people to defend companies everywhere.

I guess the court of law will decide and make justice this time not the reviewers or the paid forum fanboys.

Edited by Vampire

Moved this discussion to this thread.

Every company has had a crap product, HGST/WDC, Toshiba nor Seagate are immune from that. Each company needs to learn from those mistakes, costly as they are, and improve from them. Considering this impacted one or two drives (depending on the config both could be the same drive but de-stroked or less one head) its an isolated problem. Given the quantity of shipments each of these vendors ship in the space and the vast amount of warranty support claims that companies like Dell, EMC, etc need to handle for drive array failures, you'd see a mass exodus from a vendor if all products they sell were terrible.

What i am saying is that they knew very well what are the exact components that they used in their product.

So no one can accuse them that they didn't know what they were producing and selling to the public.

Some big companies like Gigabyte are know to remove components or replace them in their products, with lower quality components some time after introducing them to the market without specifying that.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5937/gigabyte-revision-issue-new-developments-yet-no-official-response

It may be the same thing with Seagate.

Edited by Vampire

It really depends on the circumstances. Take external enclosures like the ones affected with this lawsuit. Every manufacturer generally sticks there lowest-binned drive in one and depending on the series it might be an unreleased drive they are testing the waters with a new technology. I know early SMR drives came out in the fashion. So its common to see the specific drives vary in a product series as long as they still meet the original performance claims. Someone underestimated the usecase and it came back to bite them.

This really don't have any impact outside of the two models they are talking about. Seagate (and WD/HGST and Toshiba) have tons of product swimlanes with vastly different hardware across each to serve different markets.

EDIT: Stuff like this is why I'm glad there are locked BOM's on enterprise gear. Qualification process are so rigid that even minor firmware adjustments need to go through new qual cycles... let alone hardware changes.