E71

Upgrade OS on SSDs in RAID 5 array

Hey folks!

I'd like to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade my OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (with a clean install) and "freshen" my SSDs at the same time.

I have 4 x 256G Samsung 840 Pro SSDs in hardware RAID 5 (LSI 9750-8i) and it was quite fast and responsive when I first installed my OS but now it's kinda... meh...

As we all know TRIM isn't supported in hardware RAID and GC isn't as efficient. Supposedly, Samsung's GC runs when system is idle and people have said for it work you need to have the system running but logged out (as oppose to just locked) but I have my system on 24/7 and only locked when away... that's a lot of degradation in performance.

Anyway, I'd need to know if anyone with experience with SSDs and hardware RAID recommends any certain action to be performed prior to re-installing an OS, other than a straight-up formatting. Something to return each individual SSD to the original "new" state or as close to it as possible.

Thank yoo!

E71

Edited by E71

Since TRIM commands aren't passed through hardware RAID, short of secure erasing the SSDs there is nothing you can do.

On any modern SSD, garbage collection runs 24/7, idle or not idle. If the drive is under heavy load some of those activities are put on hold, but if there is minimal going on GC takes place. This happens if you are gaming, surfing the web, or computer locked and nothing going on... really depends on what the drive wants to do. There is nothing inside the drive that knows what Windows is doing up on top, so you can not worry about that part.

Personally if it were me, I'd allocate one SSD for native SATA with TRIM and use the other 3 in an existing RAID5 pool. Get the benefits of RAID still, but keep your OS and applications on something with TRIM so you don't notice the degraded speeds over time.

• Like 1

Something to return each individual SSD to the original "new" state or as close to it as possible.

What you should consider, is a Secure Erase on all of the SSDs. This is the best freshening for SSDs.

It can be done using Parted Magic (bootable USB drive). Check an older version when it was free. Current version isn't free anymore. But the old one does the job.

Edited by Bytebite
  • Like 1