Sign in to follow this  
we3fan

Can I use SSD as external backup on 1 USB 2.0 port?

Hi guys,

I plan to buy a 2.5" 256GB Solid State Drive and use it as external backup storage.

Because SSDs don't have moving parts I hope that the power from 1 USB 2.0 port (500 mA) will be enough to use the SSD without any problems, but I am not sure so I wanted to ask you guys if this is possible.

Can 1 USB 2.0 port (500 mA) provide enough power to use a 2.5" 256GB SSD without any problems?
And can you guys recommend me a 256GB SSD for external backup storage that uses low power and is nicely built and durable to last longer?

Thanks for your time.

An SSD backup for USB 2 seems a bit extravagant but it will work just fine. Just buy whatever is cheap, BX100, 200, 840 EVO.

Thanks guys.

I already have 1 USB 3.0 Flash Drive, and I wanted to buy 1 more for security.

But I read somewhere that Solid State Drives have a bit better quality and have longer durability than USB Flash Drives. Is this true?

That is why I was considering to buy a Solid State Drive for backup instead of another USB Flash Drive.

Generally yes, SSD's get much better quality NAND from any given production lot than a flash drive-- flash drives are generally bottom of the barrel.

However, given how low the bit error rates are in most NAND and the fact that you're just using it for backup, I would agree that a SSD is massive overkill, a regular ol' USB flash drive is going to be more than fine. If you have serious concerns about data integrity I would buy a second USB flash drive to keep your data on so you will have a second physical copy of your backup.

And...if you back up to the SSD then let it sit powered off for a long time, you risk data loss. For cost and reliability, I am still fine with a lower cost HDD for this duty.

Thanks again guys.

I want to ask you 1 more thing, I plan to fill the full 256 GB device with data and then let it sit powered off for 5-10 years if possible.

Which would be the best to use for this situation: USB Flash Drive, Solid State Drive or normal Hard Disk Drive?

5 to 10 years? Probably a normal harddisk drive, but if you're really talking more than a few years who knows if even a harddisk will spin up again. Odds are it will (and the flash will probably still work), but that's so far out of specification that I would be hesitant to guarantee anything.

Generally speaking I would plan on a media change to something newer at least every five years, if not more slightly more often.

As far as SSDs... Anandtech has a nice article on it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9248/the-truth-about-ssd-data-retention