Gabriel V

Lsi ibbu07 - Altering hex code to replace defective battery

25 posts in this topic

Hi
I have been working on modifying the hex code for the ibbu07 raid battery to be able to replace defective battery with new instead of buying a new Lsi pack at the price of 230$ here in Norway.
HPIM3803.jpg
Here I have replaced U4 with new hexcode, U4 is a regular 24lc01B.
HPIM3844.jpg
New Samsung ICP103450S battery fitted removed from a new Dell Perc6 battery module.
50%20prosent%20ladet%203820mV%20maringlt
Here I have replaced hex code and the battery with 2000mAh , as you can see design capacity is 1800mAh which is 10% derated.Orginal battery I'm sure you now is 1215mAh if your module is fitted with Sony US503759 a8h but full capacity is 1350mAh also 10% derated.
I also changed date of manufacture just for fun, clock 22.40.53 is not stored in eeprom but copied from the computer when smbus was accessed.
Manufacturer and serialnumber is as orginal, completed discharge cycles I resetted to have a fresh start.
Nykode.jpg
This if the modified code I used for the 1800mAh setup above except for 0x3F that I changed to 64 and seals the eeprom.
Code%20after%20failure.jpg
At first I did keep 0x3F at 24 but doing that Lsi has a built in code in msm or fw that replaces alot of alterations as you can see.It only happens when battery is fully charged at 100% and 4100mV.
1800%20til%201215%20ved%204.1V.jpg
Here Megaraid storage manager or raid card fw replaced some of my alternations.
49%20prosent%20charge%20stopped%202.jpg
For those of you that is using a Lsi ibbu07 I hope you can check something for me. As you can see from picture above I have finished a battery relearn and battery is charging but stops at 49% and battery status is 'Optimal'
Not sure if it is a problem with my hex code or normal feature of this software but can you check your software and report back at what capacity your battery charging stops ? pictures showing both properties and advanced properties just as picture above is more then welcome -serial number and manufacturer I don't need to see so feel free to paint over.
Data I need is voltage, design and full capacity, remaining capacity and charge %.
After fitting this battery I now regret using this big capacity - charging takes many many hours but I'm sure data retention time is awesome.
Also yesterday I made a new post in the want to buy thread, I'm looking for a Lsi ibbu08 pack with swollen/defective battery to see ibbu08 code and see what charge controller it uses.
If you have one let me know - link
Edit - I had some problems using code function in this post so I removed it.
Edited by Gabriel V

IBBU08 is off the 9260-8i.... any idea what other controllers?

Nice work on the editing. :D

Also the charging circuit might not be designed to handle such a large replacement, although in this case it might not matter? I know in some other applications it can be an issue...

IBBU08 is off the 9260-8i.... any idea what other controllers?

Not sure what you mean, as of right now I'm using the 07 on a M5015 and the 08 should also be compatible with this raid card whether card is using Ibm fw or Avago fw.

The charging circuit is programmed to give a max of 512mA by default in fast charging mode, the datasheet for the Samsung battery states that fast charging must not be above 1700mA and standard charge of 1000mA so I am well below that - it is safe.

I did not want to increase charging current as I did not know if hex editing would work at all so no, it would not matter - only downfall is that charging will take longer.

post-59787-0-49606500-1454368022_thumb.j

I have also had a look at the heatsink on the 5015 I use, it's way to ineffective for use in a regular desktop with quiet fans and idle at 58-62C. Took a almost 3x bigger heatsink and modified it to fit.

HPIM3891.jpg

DSC_3463.jpg

Old Ati card, just need the heatsink

DSC_3395.jpg

These needs to be removed to have a smooth surface.

DSC_3397.jpg

DSC_3400.jpg

DSC_3411.jpg

HPIM3827.jpg

Made room for the beeper in the heatsink,nicely done

HPIM3828.jpg

HPIM3832.jpg

With bigger heatsink and fan fitted I guess I will see better temperatures.

HPIM3839.jpg

Smaller standard heatsink comparison.

Edited by Gabriel V

Nice job. Good call on old low-end video card heatsinks... I may have to think about that the next time I need to upgrade something on one of my RAID controllers or similar that has a much smaller stock heatsink.

BTW how were temps without a fan on the new heatsink? It's big enough you might be ok without it...

With new bigger heatsink without fan temperature will eventually reach about same temp as with standard heatsink, it just takes longer time.

Still have not tried with fan fitted, when I do I will report back.

The new heatsink has the same hight and exact same fin style as std heatsink, if I were to do this again I would look for a taller and at least 2x wider heatsink.

After turning on computer without fan connected and using if for 30 minutes I measured 58C.

Turning fan on it reached 38C within 1 minute.

HPIM4261.jpg

5 minutes after connecting fan it reached 34C

HPIM4263.jpg

With a small 45x45 fan blowing over the bigger heatsink I got much lower temperature then I hoped for - this is an awesome result.

DSC_3589.jpg

I have been testing some of the 33 Htc batteries I got hold of.

HPIM4270.jpg
Remove the two plastic pins holding the old battery secure.

HPIM4271.jpg
Htc cell fits without problem.

HPIM4277.jpg
1 millimeter to high but thats ok.

HPIM4250.jpg

HPIM4252.jpg
Fitted new 3m double sided thin tape to secure cell.

HTC%20foslashrste%20start.jpg
First start, looks ok - lets calibrate battery.

HTC%20etter%202%20kalibreringer%20advanc
2xcalibration done - looks perfect. I guess full capacity will continue to rise but not that it matters as fw is holding cell @ 940-970mAh so it does not matter.

HPIM4268.jpg
Splendid way to save a 690us$ - I'm happy.

Maybe next I should play with some raid keys, might be interesting to see what features they hold.

With new bigger heatsink without fan temperature will eventually reach about same temp as with standard heatsink, it just takes longer time.

I was assuming you had some airflow from the case fans that the large heatsink would be able to take advantage of. :P

Glad it works tho!

I do, it's a Dell Precision T3600 so it has 3 80mm fans in front and 1 120mm for the cpu cooler but I run fans on low setting or else it sounds like a airplane during takeoff.

Still with fan settings on low I get 34C-38C on raid card.

@Gabriel V and others: do you axctually have to change anything in the firmware in order to replace just the battery? If I unsolder the older one and put back a Li-Ion  3.7v 1350mAh (original capacity), shouldn't that just work? There are no other wires to the battery apart form the +/- ... what am I missing?

I found the same US503759 A8H for purchase elsewhere quite cheaply and was thinking of getting one.

You do need to edit the hex code as the eprom keeps count of all battery data also how much capacity is left. When you replace the battery the chip still thinks the battery is exhausted and thats why code has to be updated.

It's only when you refresh the hex code you can start using a new fresh battery and actually make use of it's full capacity.

Hmm, but even if that's the case, a relearning cycle should bring it to a usable state. I have a few 3.7v Li-Ion batteries lying around and I think I'll give it a try. Apart from time, I have nothing to lose.

Apparently the bq2060A internal charge controller does not count backwards, several users has tried just changing battery but it was unsuccessful - relearn simply fails.

I don't know what lsi module you have but it will be interesting if you post your findings, I have only edited code for ibbu07 so other modules would be interesting and might behave otherwise.

1 person likes this

I have both the 07 and 08 models, the former with a 1350mAh (orignally) and the latter with 1500mAh (originally). I'll post results. I could discharge the replacement battery to the same level that the original battery is before swapping the two. Hopefully it will recharge. We'll see. It'll be a while before I try these tests as I'm busy nowadays (unless I get really curious about it).

I take it that you used an eeprom programmer and a new eeprom chip on yours? how much did those cost you?

Edited by alexwr

Does your Lsi card report both your batteries as defective now ?

I just use Stickvise for pcb clamping, regular solder and you can do it with any 30-40W soldering iron. You also need a programmer that supports a 24lc01b, you can buy them on ebay cheap - link ,  I also used the same chip on all my testing.

Neither reports a defective battery. It's just that the capacity has decreased a lot, holding little charge. The ibbu07 was at about 10% (reporting 300+ cycles) while the ibbu08 is hovering around 50% (despite reporting only 6 cycles). I wanted to a try a new battery that I have lying around, which doesn't costs me anything apart from a little fiddling time.

For the eprom programmer, I guess you also need a converter from soic to dip. I'll try without any of those to see if it works. I'm hoping it will work, especially if I use an identical but new battery.

Edited by alexwr
1 person likes this

What does Megaraid Storage Manger report on 'Full capacity' for your batteries ?

Yes, you also need a soic adapter, they come cheap.

I agree, it doesn't cost much time and it's actually quite fun when you succeed.

Edited by Gabriel V

Below is the ibbu08 (I don't have the ibbu07 online). The charge never really goes above 50-60%, despite reporting higher capacity and only 9 cycles (two weeks ago it said 6 cycles, hmm). I got this ibbu08 unit off ebay as used, not new, for about $25 (this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/262769365291). The ibbu07 was saying something like 500mAh full charge capacity, so that one is really dying, and it's the one I want to try replacing.

BBU status for Adapter: 0

BatteryType: iBBU08
Voltage: 3890 mV
Current: 0 mA
Temperature: 33 C
Battery State: Optimal
Design Mode  : 48+ Hrs retention with a non-transparent learn cycle and moderate service life.

BBU Firmware Status:

Charging Status              : None
  Voltage                                 : OK
  Temperature                             : OK
  Learn Cycle Requested                   : No
  Learn Cycle Active                      : No
  Learn Cycle Status                      : OK
  Learn Cycle Timeout                     : No
  I2c Errors Detected                     : No
  Battery Pack Missing                    : No
  Battery Replacement required            : No
  Remaining Capacity Low                  : No
  Periodic Learn Required                 : No
  Transparent Learn                       : No
  No space to cache offload               : No
  Pack is about to fail & should be replaced : No
  Cache Offload premium feature required  : No
  Module microcode update required        : No

BBU GasGauge Status: 0x0180
  Relative State of Charge: 69 %
  Charger System State: 1
  Charger System Ctrl: 0
  Charging current: 0 mA
  Absolute state of charge: 58 %
  Max Error: 0 %
  Battery backup charge time : 48 hours +

BBU Capacity Info for Adapter: 0

Relative State of Charge: 69 %
  Absolute State of charge: 58 %
  Remaining Capacity: 871 mAh
  Full Charge Capacity: 1270 mAh
  Run time to empty: Battery is not being charged.
  Average time to empty: 1 Hour, 45 Min.
  Estimated Time to full recharge: Battery is not being charged.
  Cycle Count: 9

BBU Design Info for Adapter: 0

Date of Manufacture: 05/30, 2013
  Design Capacity: 1500 mAh
  Design Voltage: 4100 mV
  Specification Info: 0
  Serial Number: 1198
  Pack Stat Configuration: 0x0000
  Manufacture Name: LS36691
  Firmware Version   :
  Device Name: bq27541
  Device Chemistry: LION
  Battery FRU: N/A
  Transparent Learn = 0
  App Data = 0

BBU Properties for Adapter: 0

Auto Learn Period: 28 Days
  Next Learn time: Tue May 23 11:31:40 2017
  Learn Delay Interval:0 Hours
  Auto-Learn Mode: Enabled
  BBU Mode = 5

Exit Code: 0x00

5 minutes ago, Taciturn said:

All pictures died, please reload them.

They all died because PhotoBucket now charges 399$ to allow linking of pictures to third-party sites, too expensive for me. Link

I might setup a site with all this information some time in the future.