jepoytengco

choosing a storage

Hi, I'm new to this community as well as not that familiar with some brands in the market for storage. Just want to get some tips, inputs base on your experiences about choosing for a storage.

Read some articles about Hitachi slightly edging EMC for the first spot but still want to get some inputs on some expert's advice.

As of now we're using Dell Compellent SC4020 but my boss is not that satisfied with the performance.

Thanks

jepoy

As of the moment, it is configured as volume created and mapped to a server. The storage has 2 controllers for redundancy. Not quite sure if users outside(public) accessing info directly to the storage. or users accessing to a server which is mapped to the server. I'm thinking the second would be a much appropriate setup.

Thanks

Jeff

What about performance is the problem? Hard to tell if it's storage or something else in the config. Without more details it's going to be hard to help you.

As for the performce, to be honest not sure how to check that. I only know how to check is inside the management GUI, it has a tab "Alert Monitor" and from there I see some errors like "error occurred while checking for new updates on the server" status degraded.

Next is the Online Storage tab. Basically just shows the usage. My boss once told me that he's not that satisfied with the performance(maybe speed) not sure how he check the write and read speed

Is there a way to check for write/read speed, performance like procie, memory, etc.

Thanks

Jeff

First, do you have a support contract, they have tools to help identify problems?

How does your boss know it's slow if no one can identify where or why there is a problem?

And is this disk only? I asked about config, you haven't provided much visibility there.