Sign in to follow this  
jmcy

Get HDD from brick&mortar vs mailorder (b/c damage from shipping)?

Is it true that it's better to get HDD's from brick & mortar stores rather than from mail order like Amazon, Newegg because of the additional bumps the HDD will accrue during shipping (UPS), being handed off from step to step, going through conveyer belts, being dropped in bins, etc? This is exacerbated by Amazon and Newegg not packing them well (sometimes just one air pillow, or nothing). I think the idea is that when they're being shipped to brick & mortar stores, they're going to be part of a pallet so won't get bumped as much.

Internal HDD's I've seen seem to come in cardboard boxes, with styrofoam inside, but external HDD's seem to come in plastic blister packs/clamshell packs, not so much padding.

I know the heads are parked so they're not as vulnerable, and manufacturers release data on shock tolerance. On the other hand, I read opinions that there can be cumulative damage on the whole to the mechanism, so by the time you receive it the lifespan or reliability might be compromised.

What do you guys usually do?

Thanks for your help...

You're correct in that there is a long history of complaints when it comes to packaging and shipping of HDDs from retailers. As you say, there are many times when a drive comes with little or no protection and there's little surprise when the drive doesn't work as it should. Funny story, we got a drive for review one time that was shipped only in a static bag in a FedEx envelope. Yikes...it worked though.

All that said, *most* drives shipped from online retailers arrive fine and issues are often obvious at the outset. I wouldn't buy at B&M and pay a premium for the shot at a better shipped drive. Get the best deal, test the drive when it shows and move on.

Thanks for all of your help, again.

I realized the drive I was considering from Amazon was a bare drive, and the same drive was available at a local store in a retail box for not *too much* more, so I still went with that. The brick & mortar store also had bare drives that to my horror were just stacked in a plastic crate only in their antistatic bags, so I made a note to try to get retail drives only from now on -- I guess this could have as much or more to do with any damage than mail order vs B&M.

But this does give more flexibility than I thought if realistically most drives arrive undamaged. I'll look into testing the drive.

By any chance is there an obvious program that you guys use to use to test HDD's, or are there many good ones? I just now learned of SMART and have Piriform Speccy that has it, and have HGST's program that maybe has more than SMART. I know of CrystalDiskInfo (I know they benchmark flash memory) and SpinRite, and know there are others (am only just now getting into it).

Thanks again for your help.