Sign in to follow this  
jmcy

WD Black 2.5" or HGST 7K1000 2.5" -- is WD Black more reliable

Looking for a laptop drive. Comparing WD Black 2.5" 750GB to HGST Travelstar 2.5" 7K1000 7200RPM 1TB. Speed isn't as important to me as reliability (I've lost 2 HDD's in the last year).

I understand the WD Black might be slightly faster than other 7200RPM drives and that this was its original claim to fame. I also read that it's more reliable too, though, but haven't been able to substantiate that really.

I understand the WD Black isn't enterprise (and there aren't any 2.5" enterprise drives?). I read -- though don't know if it's true, or if it's only true for 3.5" and not 2.5" -- that the WD Black chassis is heavier, though that might only figure in certain uses. Also I understand the WD Black warranty is longer at 5 yrs, but this could just be WD's willingness to charge more for the warranty in the overall price and not necessarily greater reliability.

I read Backblaze's reports that other than a few Seagate models, HDD reliability doesn't vary greatly (and that Backblaze doesn't really use WD, so doesn't know much about WD).

I found a comment from WD customer support to someone with a similar question as mine: "Kindly take note as all drives are designed around a 5 year life span. Our drives have less then a 1% annualized failure rate and cost difference is usually because of warranty length and features. (speed, cache, RAID, ect.)"

Also, from WD's site, WD Black and Blue are both rated for 600,000 load/unload cycles, while WD Green is rated for 300,000 load/unload cycles, and HGST says their 7K1000 is rated for 600,000 load/unload cycles... for whatever it's worth. I'm sure this is only one aspect of reliability.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Is the WD Black more reliable, or is it that all consumer HDD's are about the same? If they're about the same I'll probably go with the HGST 7K1000 (slightly less noise, more capacity).

Many thanks..

In a drive sample of one, it really doesn't matter in your case. I'd lean HGST as a more personal favorite, but others will be WD's biggest fan. Buy the capacity you want and the price you want and be content. Just be sure to back up regularly.

Thanks. Yeah, I was sort of leaning that way, and you definitely affirmed it as the most sensible way. As you said, the sample size is small, especially given the slight differences, and nothing beats having a backup. I'll probably get a USB external HDD of same size to do complete backups.

Thanks for your help and thanks for reading.