Sign in to follow this  
gfody

M.2 enclosure with thunderbolt interface?

Does anyone know of an m.2 enclosure with thunderbolt interface? The only ones I can find are usb. Usb wouldn't be so bad but my laptops usb ports are only 5gps.

I found this thing http://www.sonnettech.com/PRODUCT/fusionpcieflashdrive.html

but it's not just an enclosure and I'm not sure what sort of SSD is included. Ideally it would just take an 80mm m.2 drive.

I use a pair of sata docks currently to carry my main system drive (Crucial M500 SSD) between my laptop (2014 MBP) and desktop (PC). For my laptop I use USB3 (gen1 on the mbp - 5gbit) and for my desktop I use an esata port. I've been using this setup for years now and was thinking about how I could upgrade to a 950 Pro. It seems like a waste if I can't increase throughput. For the MBP that means using the thunderbolt port and I could get a thunderbolt adapter for my PC. Then the problem is that there doesn't seem to be any thunderbolt m.2 adapters, only USB. I found this thunderbolt sata dock which I could use with a sata/m.2 adapter but then that would bottleneck the 950 Pro to sata speeds again defeating the purpose.

A native thunderbolt/m.2 adapter would be ideal but it doesn't seem like anybody is making them.