Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
we3fan

Full Format empty 256GB USB Flash FAT32 to NTFS takes 8 min?

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I bought Transcend 256GB 3.0 USB Flash Drive, it was formatted to FAT32.

I saw the Serial Number from the USB Flash Drive and entered it on the Transcend website and it says it is genuine.

My laptop has only USB 2.0 ports.

I copied 9.83 GB of data on the USB Flash and after that I copied the same data from the USB Flash to the PC again, and all was OK.

Then I deleted all 9.83 GB of data from the USB Flash.

Then I decided to convert the FAT32 to NTFS with Full Format, and it took around 8 min.

I thought the convert time was too fast and tried again to convert to NTFS with Quick Format which took around 45 sec.

Than I decided to do another Full Format to NTFS, this time from Disk Management, and it took around 8 min again.

I expected the Full Format to last around 2 hrs, at least that's how long it will take for a Hard Drive I think.
I don't have much experience with formatting 256 GB USB Flash Drives, maybe it was fast because it was empty? I am not sure.

What do you guys think?
Is 8 minutes normal time to do Full Format on an empty 256 GB USB Flash Drive?

Flash products can format much faster than a hard drive. I wouldn't worry too much about the drive being too fast while formatting ;)

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Until now I used only a 1 GB old USB Flash Drive and I always did Quick Format on it.

I bought this 256 GB USB Flash to save and store some vital data on it, and I wanted to make sure all is good before I start copying all my data on it.

Maybe I panicked a bit, but as I said this is my first time formatting a 256 GB USB Flash Drive and I just wanted someone to confirm if this format time was normal for USB Flash Drive.

Thanks again. :)

I bought this 256 GB USB Flash to save and store some vital data on it

If the data really is vital make sure you save another copy of it somewhere else too.

The flash memory used in USB flash drives is typically of a lower quality compared to SSDs. I have seen drives that have been fine one day and then stop working the next.