Sign in to follow this  
AndreSchmitz

Tiered Storage best practices?

That's an extremely broad question. Are you asking about sizing of the flash pool(s) or something else? Your question could be answered in many different ways depending on exactly what you're after. If you can provide more clarity, we're happy to help.

Hello and good morning!

Please excuse the late reply, i've been off for christmas.

Unfortunately my question is intended as broud as it is .-(

I worked with Storage/Fileservers years ago and now have to be part of a projectteam with the aim to overhaul a Datacore-SAN because we run into differences with our Storagereseller.

Now my problem is that our reseller / consultant continously throws statements in the room i realy cant believe to be true.

So what im am looking for are good guides / bestpractices or books for modern SAN / Hardware (vendor independend or Datacore) discussing:

- good ways to configure Storagetiers (How many Tiers, how big should the speedstep betweens tiers be, how should tiers differs in capacity)

- good ways to configure Raidsets (for Sets with 10, 20, 30 or more Drives, controllerpenaltys for larger raidsets etc,)

Im confidence in doing the theoretical math of configuring storage, but i still have no practical experiance with modern Storagehardware.

Maybe you have some lecturehints for me?

Thank you very mutch,

Andre

The answers are dependent entirely on your workload and budget. "Best" might be all flash, single tier - YAY! But that may not be needed for your workloads, and probably isn't within your budget. Generally though, size a flash pool that's big enough for your hot data (5-10%) and do a disk tier. 2.5" 10K makes some sense here, unless your caching/tiering software is good enough that you don't hit disk often, near line may work too, especially if there's a capacity need.

• Like 1

Usually the manufacturer is the best source for a guide on tiering best practices. They all seem to have something documented.

If not, get on the phone with the Manufacturer, find you sales rep, and get their SE to assist. If an SE isn't comfortable with the topic, get a product manager on the phone! They'll make broad recommendations, things that are safe to play with. Beyond that, much of it will have to be your own testing and benchmarking.

Often, a reputable company will have some tools to tell you your performance matrix, and tell you where you have "hotspots," on your SAN, and then you can either add disk to fix it, move workloads, or add more Tier 0 disk (e.g. SSD/Flash/15k drives) and tier that way.