Adam_a

Intel SSD DC P3700 2.5" NVMe SSD Review Discussion

Available in capacities up to 2TB, the Intel P3700 is at the top drive of the family, which is designed for both mainstream applications and storage system providers. Intel has certainly introduced their new family of NVMe enterprise drives in a massive way with three different lines and two different form factors (2.5" and PCIe add-in card) that span a grand total of 12 different capacities. There aren’t many companies (besides the big three) that can afford such an impressive launch. The P3700 drives and their family are also vertically integrated solutions, meaning the Intel produces the controller, NAND (20nm MLC) and firmware (Intel also provides driver support for operating systems). This allows Intel to better understand the drive's characteristics, allowing them to effectively support their drive and offer more streamlined enhancements in the future.

Intel SSD DC P3700 2.5" NVMe SSD Review
  • Like 1

Excellent review!

I am really curios which option is theoretically faster for MySQL use:
4 x 2.5" 400GB P3700 on RAID 10 (hmmm...are there even any available RAID adapters for NVMe?)
Or
1 x PCIe 400GB P3700
Edited by pharaoh

There are no RAID adapters for PCIe-connected storage devices. It would all have to be at the software level.

• Like 1

oh, I see. Thank you. :)

So revising my question a bit, which option is theoretically faster for MySQL use:

4 x 2.5" 400GB P3700 on Software RAID 10

Or
1 x PCIe 400GB P3700
I am talking mainly about MySQL SELECT queries (read). Less concerned about write performance.
Edited by pharaoh

You'd probably have better performance from hitting a single drive with lower latency. Under really high loads multiples might help out, but highest performance would be through spreading out the database locations to the flash native vs through RAID.

• Like 1

Interesting. Thanks a lot, Kevin! :)

Would one 2.5" 400GB P3700 be faster or slower or the same speed for MySQL SELECT than one PCIe 400GB P3700? (theoretically, based on your vast experience)

The 2.5" and HHHL models will offer near identical performance. Generally they are the same drive, same PCIe channels on the newer NVMe lines so for all intents and purposes it should be no difference at all.

• Like 1

That's great! One last question, if I may.

Comparing these NVMe drives, to the fastest and lowest latency SATA SSD drives, will it make any difference using them to get better MySQL read (SELECT) performance? Are they better for this purpose?

It really depends on if you are disk I/O bound right now. Newer products are always nice and fast, but if you aren't pushing your current storage to the limit it might not have an improvement (or a large enough one to make it worthwhile).

• Like 1