rallycobra

What SSD for El Capitan Mac with Trim enabled?

I know very little about Mac's, but inherited a 2008 iMac from a coworker with a dead drive. I've got the thing up and running with an old drive. I want to put a new SSD in it with about 500gb of storage.

Does anyone make software than runs under Mac OS that will update the firmware if needed?

Any suggestions for a drive that is compatible with TRIM? I have read the Crucial and Samsung drives have problems (they are usually my go to drives!)

Thank you in Advance

For Mac I would visit otherworldcomputing

You will also need a temp sensor other wise the fans will run at full speed all the time

https://www.macsales.com

1.you will need the temp sensor

2.3.5 inch to 2.5 adapter

3.any ssd of your choosing will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respectfully disagree with some of your response.

You don't need a temp sensor, at least for my 2008, I just use the one I have

OWC sells a NewerTech AdaptaDrive bracket that works great for $15

I have a mx100 installed now and there is a whole thread on the crucial website how they are not compatible with TRIM. People are waiting for a firmware update.

Is a Evo 850 safe to use?

Does any manufacturer make a firmware update that runs under Mac OS?

Whatever drive I purchase, I would like to buy one that has a way to upgrade the firmware in Mac OS without having to strip the drive out of the computer, which is not a benign thing in a 2008 iMac

I don't worry much about TRIM but that Macs come with Samsung and Toshiba drives more often than not, no I'd be shocked if there's a major compatibility issue. I'd just leave the Crucial in there to be honest.