Sign in to follow this  
D0M1N13

Samsung 840 Pro or Samsung 850 Pro?

Hi Forum,

I googled benchmarks regarding the Samsung 840 Pro and the Samsung 850 Pro, and of course Samsung 850 Pro outperforms the Samsung 840 Pro. My question is if the Samsung 850 Pro outperforms Samsung 840 Pro, then why is Samsung 840 Pro a lot much more expensive ? It's an old SSD and old technology. So is there anything I am missing ?
I am asking this question because I want to put an SSD into my Alienware 18 as my main drive which OS and Apps would be installed. I wonder if I would feel any difference of those two SSD's ? Also, I heard that the Samsung 840 Pro overtime slows down. Can anybody confirm this ?

Limited stock-- hence demand outstrips supply of the 840 PRO.

I wouldn't touch an 840-series, the 850-series is clearly the way to go.

I've had one for over a year and have not noticed any degradation. You may be thinking of the 840 EVO's slowdown bug, which has been fixed in the latest firmware for the 840 EVO.

Continuum is right in the limited stock as reason for price, however in your scenario (OS+apps) you will see exactly zero difference in performance between 840 Pro and 850 Pro (I have both in my main rig, the 840 Pro is 3 yrs old, the 850 Pro is 10 months old). The 850 Pro is expected to have double lifetime (6000 write cycles vs 3000) but it is very-very unlikely that with OS+apps you will get anywhere near to their limits. As for 840 slowdown: it happened to 840 EVO and 840 only, there was no such problem with the 840 Pro.

Edited by worxland