we3fan

Safe to use 2 different HD types inside 2-bay enclosure?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I ordered 3.5" 2-bay external enclosure, and I am planning to put inside one WD Blue 2TB Hard Disk and one WD Red 2TB Hard Disk.

I plan to use it as an external storage and the enclosure will not be used 24/7, once I copy everything on it I will just copy files from it 1-2 times per week.

I have never used a Red (NAS) HD before so that is the main reason why I wanted to try it.

Is it a good idea to mix 1 Blue and 1 Red Hard Disk inside the 2-bay external enclosure?

I guess it would be OK, but since I have never done it before I wanted to ask you guys.

Or it is better if I use 2 WD Blue HDs or 2 WD Red HDs inside the 2-bay external enclosure?

Thanks for your time.

If the drives are operating independently in the enclosure then it shouldn't matter, however if it's a RAID1 or RAID0 you would technically want matched drives to reduce the risk of any compatibility issues.

However-- note "technically" above-- usually you can use mismatched drives without issues. Keyword being "usually."

I forgot to mention, I will not use the HDs in RAID.
I will use each hard drive to be seen separately as single drive. (Showing 2 HDD capacities)

JBOD is a better use case. There will be some differing vibrations and such, some people obsess about that, but you should be okay.