elec999

ESXi server build lots of SQL

16 posts in this topic

Good Day,
I was chosen to help spec out a new server for a dev shop with lots of SQL Work. The server will not be from Dell,HP or Lenovo due to the high costs. I want to spec out and build my own server based on Supermicro barebone or anything else suggested. I like the Supermicro because it provides a new starting point. My max bugdet is 10k. Can anyone help me advice, on the CPU, RAM choice. My most difficult part is choosing the storage. Seems that SSDs are still pricy, 10k 2.5 sas drives 15k sas drives. Need some help here. Also what raid card to choose.

This is what I got so far:
SUPERMICRO SYS-1028R-WC1RT 1U Rackmount Server Barebone Dual LGA 2011 Intel C610 DDR4 DIMM sockets
SUPERMICRO SYS-1028R-WC1RT 1U Rackmount Server Barebone Dual LGA 2011 Intel C610 DDR4 DIMM sockets - Newegg.ca
Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 Haswell-EP 2.4 GHz 8 x 256KB L2 Cache 20MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 85W BX80644E52630V3 Server Processor x2
Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 Haswell-EP 2.4 GHz 8 x 256KB L2 Cache 20MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 85W BX80644E52630V3 Server Processor - Newegg.ca
Ram Either 128GB or 256GB DDR4
Raid control maybe buildin good enough
Need to device on storage, option 10x 2.5

This box will also host between 20-30 low resource vms that are constantly changing.

Cheers

1 person likes this

So you don't want any flash in these servers?

What are the size of the VMs you expect to put on the platform?

You may not need flash but if the load is relatively low, you can still benefit from even the TLC drives that are low cost, good capacity and you won't have to worry a ton about endurance. You might also consider setting up two tiers, flash and disk, so in the event something more priority comes up, you could move the volume over...or do caching with flash/disk and software.

You may not need flash but if the load is relatively low, you can still benefit from even the TLC drives that are low cost, good capacity and you won't have to worry a ton about endurance. You might also consider setting up two tiers, flash and disk, so in the event something more priority comes up, you could move the volume over...or do caching with flash/disk and software.

What solution would you recommend for this? I mean what raid card for caching that works with ESXi, and what SSDs?

The LSI 3108 built into that server is the LSI 9261-8i RAID card... so a very, very card. Nothing on the market beats it. Currently caching at the RAID card level doesn't really yield optimal results. You'd be better of managing it yourself in terms of migrating intensive VMs onto flash and the slower guys onto HDD only. Caching software could help you out, but the costs per CPU would easily push you outside of this budget.

Where are you located?

We could probably send over some SSDs if you could make use of them ;)

What is your budget for the server total? I just started to look at the Dell pricing, and for Dell R730 w/ 16 2.5" bays and the same grade HW RAID card and CPUs I'm at the identical price as the Supermicro.

Max Budget would be $7k, looks like right now. Please keep in mind in Canada we get much higher prices then your USA Dell. The Supermicro I speced out there was an CDN Dollars meaning (2k CAD around $1500 uSD Dollars.

I see what you mean now... what did you guys do to Dell up there ;) Price of the server I was working on went up like 5k

I see what you mean now... what did you guys do to Dell up there ;) Price of the server I was working on went up like 5k

Nobody likes canada :( haha