sblantipodi

My Samsung 850 EVO 1TB is slower than yours, please help.

Hi,

I have just mounted my new Samsung 850 EVO 1TB on a Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard running a 5930K.

I have created the partition (GPT),

formatted it as NTFS and then started some benchmark like ATTO and Crystal Disk Mark.

The SSD is mounted as a secondary drive for data storage, my OS drive is a Corsair Force GT240GB that is waiting to be replaced by another SSD.

This is the results of the reviewers:

850EVO_1TB_ATTO_review.png

and this is mine, as you can see is much slower ...

850EVO_1TB_ATTO.png

this is the benchmark from the reviews:

850EVO_1TB_CDM_review.png

and this is my slower one:

850EVO_1TB_CDM.jpg

Why my drive is slower than reviews?
My X99 motherboard should max out the drive :(

Help me please...

Was the drive secure erased before those tests were completed? Nothing that I'm seeing is showing it to be far outside the range of error with those light consumer benchmarks. Are you running the latest intel drivers as well?

Was the drive secure erased before those tests were completed? Nothing that I'm seeing is showing it to be far outside the range of error with those light consumer benchmarks. Are you running the latest intel drivers as well?

Thanks for the answer.

No I don't secure erased it since I have done the test as soon as I have bought the drive,

created the GPT partition and than formatted as NTFS.

I'm on the latest intel driver.

My 4K test does half the speed of what tested in reviews, why you say that it could be normal?

If you say it I have no doubt that is correct but I just want to understand it :)

Burst workloads are very unpredictable and have a wide margin for error compared to sustained workloads with flash, especially for small sample sizes.

The areas you'd want to check is firmware of the SSD (does it match reviewers copies). After that doing a secure erase and doing these benchmarks first would give you a good idea if they repeat or not.

Burst workloads are very unpredictable and have a wide margin for error compared to sustained workloads with flash, especially for small sample sizes.

The areas you'd want to check is firmware of the SSD (does it match reviewers copies). After that doing a secure erase and doing these benchmarks first would give you a good idea if they repeat or not.

If you say that my results isn't bad I will avoid formatting the drive since I installed a lot of things on it now.

If you say is ok, I'm in, it's ok. :)

Basically you want to sort out the stupid stuff first (drivers, firmware, cabling) and after that its not dramatically slower. Things that would stick out to me would be something showing 1/8th the speed for example. You'd be hard pressed to feel those differences ;)

• Like 1

Drivers and cables are OK, firmware is the latest available.

Drive is set in ahci mode and connected to the Intel controller.

It seems that my corsair force GT 240 is faster than my 850 EVO in the 4k test.

Did you update to the latest firmware and run the Samsung fix? Also are you using ahci mode. Latest drives from Intel and latest bios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kinda meh on the packaged testing tools, and even if one thing or the other is faster in a particular benchmark, it still doesn't translate into "felt speed" nor do they capture the quality differences between drives. Looking at hero performance numbers doesn't always translate into the real world I suppose is my main point.