Slade

512e or 4Kn Format

I'm looking at the HGST He8 drives for a RAID 6 array. Is there any particular advantage to using the 512e format or 4Kn format as both are supported by the Adaptec card that I am using? The 512e seem a bit cheaper in the 8TB capacity.

Thanks!

I'm in a similar boat. One, I found this link to let me know which are which. I'm not sure if the LSI 9361 has any impact on 4Kn. I haven't seen that much evidence that 4K is all that and a bag o' chips so I'm not sure how much it benefits me vs. the increased price of nearly $100 per drive.

Edited by BOE

I selected the He8 for their reliability and needed a large space with as small a number of drives as possible, plus I got the 8TB drives for only $441 each. Enterprise quality (10E15, 2.5M hours MTBF) 8TB drives are not terribly common AFAIK and I have had excellent results with HGST enterprise drives since they first came out. I don't feel comforatable with the Seagate SMR 8TB drives yet, so they were not considered at all, and most of the Seagate offerings are only 10E14 drives with MTBF around 1M hours. The energy savings of the He8 will just be a bonus since they will run 24/7.

So far I am very happy with the drives, and the Adaptec 8805 that I went with instead of the 71605 since i got it for over $250 less and really didn't need 16 ports. I'll give an update report in 3 or 4 months after the data migration is complete and the new array has had some service time.

Update.

Things went very well with the new array. I used 5 8TB He8 512e drives and an Adaptec 8805 controller. I stuck it into my NAS box on the second x8 PCIe connector (the first has my old 6805 with 8 3TB in RAID 6), installed the Win 7 x64 driver and after the build was good to go. Took around 30 hours to build the RAID 5 and 14TB of data transfered from the old array to the new at 500-600MB/s.