Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeoMonkeyGuru

LTO-6 drive to backup my video works

9 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone.

I'd like to buy a LTO-6 drive to backup my video works but... I'd like also to use it as a "normal" source for view the files on the net (with vlc from another computer or directly from a tv panel with WD TV LIVE or POPCORN A-4xx).

I wasn't able to find any info about this kind of use so... I'm here to ask :)

Is possible to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Leo

Using it as the normal source would probably result in some very odd buffering behavior. The tape drive itself won't be able to serve it, instead you'd host it from your computer, with the tape drive attached. It would probably be constantly trying to seek and buffer the file to your computer in that instance. Playing it start to finish without skipping would probably be fine, trying to fast forward or anything like that would be torture.

Thanks for the superfast answer!

I'd like to use a dedicated machine like a MicroServer HP ProLiant Gen8 with LTO inside.

In this way could be fine...?

Thanks!

You'd definitely have to buffer to a harddisk or something else, and any remote amount of seeking is often on the order of minutes... you'd also have the distinct possibly you'd very quickly wear out the tape.

Given how cheap a 6TB harddisk is, may I ask why this is coming up? Is there some other reason?

Mmm... it was my fear.

The problem is the amount of hard disks (right now 80tb and growing) without a raid system (it would be too expensive for me).

So I was thinking about a (expensive at beginning) solution to save the files but cheaper and safer than hard disk.

Thanks for your precious support.

Also what exactly are you storing in the 80TB range? Blu-rays hold ~50GB... so even if you were copying those straight up, that's 1600 movies.

LOL

:lol::lol::lol:

i buy bluray because I've got no time/no speed to download 'em and... I prefer to have phisically in my hand. ;)

btw... years of:

my videos (from sd to 4k)

my photos (from easy cam to pro raw files)

my photoshop works

my stuff

something really important is mirrored but... only few tb are "safe"

Your best bet would be looking at a colder tier of storage. Seagate Archive HDDs and that type of product. Designed for very low write duty cycles, really cheap. The tough part comes in creating parity for data without traditional RAID.

What is your overall budget? You can get pretty cheap, but getting large capacity cheap is a tough bet.

Single LTO-6 tape is also only 2.5TB capacity, so that's a lot of tapes (since your movies are already compressed, I wouldn't count on any additional compression working very well).

$2k for a single drive, a lot more if you want an autoloader...

As Kevin says, SMR-based harddisks get a good bit cheaper, but if you don't want to do RAID then parity is hard. You could compact everything in PAR2 archives and set the amount of parity you want, but that would be a massive performance hit...