Adam_a

Amazon Snowball 50TB Storage Server Unveiled

The Snowball is specifically designed for customers and businesses that need to move large amounts of data to AWS on a one-time or recurring basis. As such, Amazon’s Snowball aims to get customer data into the cloud as fast as possible and thus has designed it so multiple Snowballs can be connected together as a daisy-chain. There are obvious huge benefits to this type of physical data transfer service; even though fast Internet connections are available around the globe, transferring terabytes or petabytes of data from an existing data center to the cloud still can be incredibly challenging for organizations.To order a Snowball, users can simply request one from the AWS Management Console. It will arrive a few days later at your workplace or company site.

Amazon Snowball 50TB Storage Server Unveiled

I find this thing to be fantastic. We've shipped all sorts of devices/servers/etc around to deal with this specific issue...given sneaker-net an entirely new meaning.

Odd that it'd have 110V power and not 110/240

I'm guessing it is a 100-240 switching unit, but the point is that it is compatible with 100v, versus 240v only. We're trying to get one in to get some of our backup data up into the cloud a tad quicker. Hopefully that will help add some clarity to the features/specs mentioned.

A little OT... but do any of the more consumer oriented cloud services offer anything similar? Dropbox offers up to 1TB of storage for $10 per month, but there's no way I'll ever upload 1TB of data over a 10Mbps link in a reasonable amount of time. $200 is cost-prohibitive, and all the typical consumer would need is to mail off a 1 or 2 TB laptop drive.

Don't know about Dropbox but some companies do offer that. The term is "seeding" your backup. Most customer facing services don't offer it under the assumption that you can move data around with enough time.

My best advice in your scenario is something I had to do at my parents house when uploading this first photo drive backup. Break out a transfer speed calculator and upgrade your internet plan if possible. 10Mb upload for 1TB is just 10 days. My parents had something like a 768Kb upload with ~400GB to move. We ended up upgrading to a plan with 5Mb upload for one month and got that first chunk uploaded.

This looks very cool, do you think their $200 is reasonable? I guess it's just a big time saver really if you have a lot of data to upload to AWS.

Edited by Klikkers

This looks very cool, do you think their $200 is reasonable? I guess it's just a big time saver really if you have a lot of data to upload to AWS.

Bandwidth costs at the datacenter level if you are paying a host to transfer it could get that high in some scenarios as well.

What I'm curious about is that in many cases, your application needs to be "seed," aware. (I made up that term)

If the application doesn't have a method to check the data in the remote location (AWC Cloud) how will it know what diff's to send?

There are MANY backup applications that couldn't take advantage of this in terms of using their internal deduplication functions. Or if you could, you'd have a lot of egress GETs, and really ramp up your initial costs to get data into the cloud.

I think as simple of a solution as this is, and it's not the first (Mozy server backup can has done this before for years), that your application needs to be vetted on how this will work and is supported.

That's a good point. I suppose if it's just being used for file storage or retention/archive, it's less of an issue.