Sign in to follow this  
norberto

CDR Media quality

Hi,

Can anyone point me out some websites where CDR media quality is discussed? I would really like to see something with brands/manufacturers analysis, media product codes (to make sure that I'll be buying the right media), etc.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Norberto Henriques

Or the short answer is... buy Taiyo Yuden media (Japan-made Fuji, Japan-made TDK, or generic bulk Taiyo Yuden). Rima.com has great prices and they shipped my order fast.

KC

Hi,

In fact I did this post because I'm about to buy some TDK CD's.

I usually buy Sony's, but I can get the TDK's a little bit cheaper.

What's the product code for those Taiyo Yuden TDK CD's? I could use that reference code to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

Best regards,

Norberto Henriques

Take care of the TDKs. There are ones made by TDK (good) and others made by Ritek (bad). I still havent found a way to distinguish them without opening the case (the blue coloured ones, IIRC, are TDK)

But I simply haven't had ANY problems with ANY media.

Its all worked well for me, and when it hasn't, its been MY fault.

I have some cheap (Intenso) CDRs from around 4 years back, they stopped working around 2 years ago. I've also had the substrate layer peel off on some cheap disks too. They were stored in a spindle case in a cupboard. I have no idea how it happened but it does occasionally happen to the cheap media I sometimes use for non-critical stuff (stuff I only want for the next week or two)

I have some cheap (Intenso) CDRs from around 4 years back, they stopped working around 2 years ago. I've also had the substrate layer peel off on some cheap disks too. They were stored in a spindle case in a cupboard. I have no idea how it happened but it does occasionally happen to the cheap media I sometimes use for non-critical stuff (stuff I only want for the next week or two)

I hate spindles,

While Jewel cases are pretty fragile and bulky, I find they protect CD's much better than being in a spindle or other compact storage.

Thats probably why I don't have a problem with any of them :)

I use the cheap media for testing or downloading a big file from the work computer with high connection to my home computer (slow connection). For a really good program, pictures, mp3s, etc. I use the real good media. Yamaha & TDK media. These ones are very good for my Yamaha burner.

Soon, I'll get the new Yamaha burner 44x 24x 48. It appears to be a really good burner. Eventhough, I have an eye on the new Lite-on 48x 12x 48x (LTR-48125W) $91.00

Verbatim all the way! 8)

BTW, it depends on your burner too. You have to find the brand your recorder "likes"...

Verbatim all the way! 8) 

Another 'Hell Yea!' vote for Verbatim Datalife Plus. You can pick them up for a good price at one of those warehouse stores (Sam's club, Costco, etc.)

Ya, I understand that the cheap CD media is about to disappear. Aparently phillips is tired of being screwed outa royalties, and is leaning on distrubuters to get the royalties collected...

I have been using Imation 16x/24x CD-R's for 2 years now without a problem. Just make sure you buy the ones manufactured in Tayo-Yudin or sounding something like that. For most CD-R's the factory that they are made in makes a huge difference.

Just 2 days ago I used a shitty CD-RW called Digital Media to urgently backup my data onto. Not trusting the media, I tried to copy the data back and it restored fine. Then I went ahead and formatted my disk. They when I tried to restore it, I got CRC errors! And to think that I tried to restore them back just a day later! $%#% Luck for me it was only a scratch disk with un-tagged mp3's and the like... but seriously...NEVER trust unbranded CD-R's for anything!

Check out http://www.gamecopyworld.com

They have done some extensive tests and have a lot of utilities to tell you where your CD's are manufactured from the ATIP.