Brian

WD Black 6TB HDD Review Discussion

The WD Black 6TB is a significant upgrade in both performance and capacity compared to its predecessor. The resulting combination of capacity, price and performance makes the 6TB Black an excellent option for professionals and enthusiasts who have a large storage footprint either in a PC or via external enclosure.

WD Red Pro 6TB's look to be almost the same price, at least at Newegg, and have firmware better optimized for RAID use-- given virtual price parity you'd want to use the Red Pro's for RAID.

September;

Has anyone tested the read access times of the 6TB Caviar Black? It's interesting to compare the ~5 year old Caviar Black 2TB Storagereview review to this and the 2TB does better on the database/file/web server/workstation tests but is clobbered by the 6TB in the real world HTPC bench and the 6TB has the same performance on 4KB random transfers read as the 2TB but (the 2TB) a bit slower on write. I will guess that the 6TB doesn't have quite the access time performance as the 2TB did of about 12ms (really good).

Edit 10/26; John M who reviewed this drive on 10/7/2015 on Newegg says HD tune pro says the access time is 12.2ms. Way, way better than my crappy Seagate ST6000DX000 7200RPM 6TB drive that shows about 17.5ms with the same test!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236970&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Edited by danwat1234

I would be interested to see how the HGST 6TB NAS drive compares to this. I guess it would be about the same as how it compares to the WD Red Pro 6TB?

I wish someone would make a high performance SSHD or significantly up the cache size as I am always looking for max performance rotating drives.

Edited by cbrworm

WARNING!

This drive runs dangerously hot! Unenclosed, it got up to 55°C/131°F, after a few hours of minimal use, with an ambient temp of 26.6°C/79°F. Be extremely careful if using this drive in a NAS or HTPC, unless they have aggressive, excellent ventilation. While it has a 5 year warranty, running it at high heat like that will definitely overcook the drive and I seriously doubt it would last a full 5 years. Even then, do you want to take a chance with irreplaceable data on drive running that hot?

I'm very disappointed and certainly don't want to put that oven in my well stuffed case. For now I'm running it in a Plugable "lay flat" SuperSpeed USB 3.0 dock with a small fan pointed directly on the drive. That seems to keep them drive temp below 40°C. Do not use this drive in any case or enclosure that does not have excellent ventilation and airflow over the drives.

55C is just within spec and should not have any effect on longevity. (spec sheet)

However, once you go out of spec... yeah, things tend to go south very, very quickly.

You don't need aggressive ventilation, but you do need some modest bit of airflow over a drive like this. The difference between no airflow and a modest bit is significant in keeping temperatures within operating spec.