sblantipodi

SM951 256GB, does it worth it?

Hi all,

I'm here again to ask your valuable suggestions.

I have a modern PC, Intel 5930K with Asus X99 Deluxe and I would like to renew my storage to get more performance.

At the moment I have an old SSD, Corsair Force GT 256GB for the OS and the most used software

and a WD Black 2TB for games, videos, photos, software.

I would like to get more performance in software compiling (mostly java using maven), games, windows boot time, content creation.

To satiate my hunger for performance :D I would like to avoid using HDD for everything except videos and photos.

I tought at this upgrade:
I will change my current Corsair Force GT 256GB with a Samsung SM951 M.2 NVMe for the OS and java software compiling

I will add a Samsung 850EVO 1TB or 512GB for games and content creation,

the black remains for every other tasks that doesn't require speed.

Do you think that this will be a good upgrade for about 360€ (200€ the SM951 and 160€ the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB)?
If not, what is your idea of a better upgrade?

Since you have a pretty measurable objective here, have you ever used performance monitor to watch what sort of storage load the software compiling has on storage? If you are CPU-bound a SSD upgrade might not help you that much.

Since you have a pretty measurable objective here, have you ever used performance monitor to watch what sort of storage load the software compiling has on storage? If you are CPU-bound a SSD upgrade might not help you that much.

smart answer, I will see but I pretty sure that I'm CPU-bound.

There's always something isn't there? We have one, Adam's out in Korea now actually at their annual event. I think we're allowed to post results the first week of October.