Sign in to follow this  
jimmyjamesjimmy

Adding 1TB SSD drive to a laptop - compatability?

Hi Guys

I'm looking at adding purchasing a new 13" laptop. Something like a Dell XPS 13 (9343) or Toshiba Kira.

The max hard drive size they come with is 256GB SSD. I need a lot more space so would like to stick an aftermarket 1TB SSD drive into it.

I believe these laptop comes with mSATA SSD drives. I've upgraded hard drives in the past but am unsure if the bios on new laptops can handle 1TB SSD drives. I was thinking of installing a Samsung 850 EVO Series 1TB mSATA SSD (MZ-M5E1T0BW).

Has anyone added a 1TB SSD drive to a laptop before? Did they experience any compatability issues? Am I better off with a laptop that supports 2.5" SSD drives or is mSATA going to be ok?

Anything I should watch out for?

Kind Regards

Jimmy

Should work fine (there's nothing in the standards for SATA that would cause an issue), although if you want 100% confirmation unfortunately I can't provide that. Honestly though, I'd just buy it, it should be fine.

I assume you've used your google-fu to look up the exact models of the various laptops you're looking at and SSD compatibility?