Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky

Recommendations for a RAID1 External Drive

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality external drive. USB 3 is a must, as is RAID1. Thunderbold, Firewire or any other interfaces are a bonus. I don't seem to be able to find a good selection of suitable devices out there, and would really appretiate some recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

There are a ton of options. How hands on do you want to be? You can buy the parts and assemble or buy a pre-packed drive. Also, budget is a concern or no? There are some lovely looking all aluminum options but those increase cost a ton.

Well, in the absence of any other information, I'll recommend the Drobo Mini. Decent performance, 4 bay expandability and very easy management are the top three features that come to mind.

If you can share any more details on your requirements, Sparky, I'm sure we can make a recommendation that maybe more suited to your specific needs.

Thanks for the replies, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you to clarify my requirements:

• Hands-on isn't necessarily a terrible thing, but on balance a pre-packaged option would probably be best.
  • Cost isn't a primary consideration.
  • These will be to replace drives that have recently caused problems and even failed, losing data - so quality and reliability are important.
  • Capacity wise, something around the 2-4TB mark should suffice. I was thinking 2 * 5.25 inch bays in a simple RAID1 setup would cover this adequately.
  • Good performance would be a plus, there will be some video editing involved. Moving into the realms of caching drives might be a little overkill, but is worth considering.

There are dozens of things that would solve this issue. We're reviewing the WD My Book Pro right now which is seeing about 400MB/s R/W, has a hardware RAID controller and is overall pretty nice outside of management having to be over USB. 6TB version (2x3TB) is $600. The Lacie 2big is really nice too, better build than the WD and about the same cost, but has a goofy panel to get to the ports. If you want lower cost, then buy enclosure of choice off NewEgg and disks.

There are dozens of things that would solve this issue. We're reviewing the WD My Book Pro right now which is seeing about 400MB/s R/W, has a hardware RAID controller and is overall pretty nice outside of management having to be over USB. 6TB version (2x3TB) is $600. The Lacie 2big is really nice too, better build than the WD and about the same cost, but has a goofy panel to get to the ports. If you want lower cost, then buy enclosure of choice off NewEgg and disks.

Thoes drives both look perfect, thanks for the recommendation, and I'll keep an eye out for the We review!

Edit: the review is up! http://www.storagereview.com/wd_my_book_pro_review

Edited by Sparky