Sign in to follow this  
schaki

A simple Pci-e or Pci express Sata 3 card to boot from?

To try and make a long story short. After having tried to find a suitable old quality ssd for my motherboard which only have sata 2 controllers, I finally settled with a 850 Pro 256gb anyway.

It seems to me that my motherboard only have Pci Express version 1.1 which have no better than 250 Mb/s which is no better than the built-in Intel sata 2 controller, even with a sata 3.0 adapter card connected if I've got this right.

There is two Pci-e slots in my Ga-Ep-35-ds3p motherboard which makes it possible to use two ATI Gpus in Crossfire. According to the bios boot options the board supports boot from Add In Cards. Not sure if that's only Pci express but also the faster pci-e slots.

The official specifiacions for my motherboard http://gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2742&dl=1#sp

Either way I've way if there is some low cost card for Pci-e to Sata 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 I would probably be prepared test if it works to boot from.

While seeing low sequential burst figures might be dis-heartening, the benefits of SSDs really come from the ability to perform at a high rate of speed with random workloads. You'd probably be fine sticking with your current setup and enjoying the SSD as is and perhaps setting aside some cash for a future upgrade of the motherboard/CPU down the road. I had an old notebook with a SATAI limitation and you couldn't really notice you weren't getting full speed from SSDs unless you ran a sequential benchmark on it.

While seeing low sequential burst figures might be dis-heartening, the benefits of SSDs really come from the ability to perform at a high rate of speed with random workloads. You'd probably be fine sticking with your current setup and enjoying the SSD as is and perhaps setting aside some cash for a future upgrade of the motherboard/CPU down the road. I had an old notebook with a SATAI limitation and you couldn't really notice you weren't getting full speed from SSDs unless you ran a sequential benchmark on it.

Yup, that's very true.

Plus, with the addin card you'll have more compatibility issues to think about. Stick with Kevin's approach and don't worry about what the internet says your SSD should do. :)

Best wishes!