Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Toshiba Announces New High-Performance HDDs

Toshiba’s new X300 caters more towards high-end or pro users, including graphic designers and gamers. The P300 is a high performance HDD that is ideal for home and office users with demanding applications. The E300 is the most affordable of the bunch, while boasting low-power consumption. The L200 is a 2.5-inch mobile drive that offers consumers with a high capacity upgrade option as well as data protection features.

Toshiba Announces New High-Performance HDDs

"features special data protection technology." on the P300, I wonder what the heck that means... enough capacitors to keep the motor spinning to finish the last few picooseconds of writes in progress?

Some of the choices look odd. With SSDs taking most of the market below 1 TB, they released new 500 GB drives. And the L200 topping out at 1 TB doesn't compete with the 2.5" Samsung/Seagate 2 TB.

I'd expect new HDs to have a strong focus on capacity. That's their main competitive advantage. SSD prices are falling more aggressively, so even smallish HDs won't be price competitive for long after they become available.

Edited by reader50

I see this as bad news tbh.

X300

• $219.99 - 4TB
  • $234.99 - 5TB
  • $349.99 - 6TB

Toshiba's current 7200rpm 128MB drive prices:

$124.99 - 4TB

$144.99 - 5TB

$249.99 - 6TB

This is the same thing wd and seagate did, "Market segmentation" to increase profits.

"features special data protection technology." on the P300, I wonder what the heck that means... enough capacitors to keep the motor spinning to finish the last few picooseconds of writes in progress?

I don't think it'd be for keeping the motor spinning. That would take way more capacitance than is likely to fit on those boards. But it might be enough power to finish flushing the onboard cache. Press releases are always fun to try and decipher ...