mbressman

Bad/Damaged Drive No Longer Even Accessible via LiveCD

I have a bad/damaged hard drive that had Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS installed on it, and per suggestions in the Ubuntu Forums, I was going to try and use ddrescue on it to clone it to another drive and see what I could get going with it. Unfortunately, now it's not even being detected by a LiveCD boot (the bad/damaged drive itself is connected via a USB SATA enclosure). Any ideas what I can try to get it back to being detected?

Just some more information - it was previously detected, and I unplugged it from the computer while I was in Ubuntu via LiveCD so that I could wipe the other drive (which is installed in the computer) and make sure that I didn't accidentally wipe the bad/damaged drive. And now, since doing that, it isn't showing up at all (after reconnecting it, and even after rebooting the LiveCD).

Thanks!

Hi there.

Can you see the drive in BIOS? If you don't, then remove it from the enclosure I would suggest to try the basic troubleshooting steps and try a different USB cable, different port of the motherboard and if none of these work - to plug it in a different computer and see if it gets recognized there.

If it doesn't help, then contact a data recovery company and see if your information can be retrieved from the drive, and keep in mind that the more you use the drive and try to repair it, the worse the damage and the extraction of files may become. Here's a link with the WD recovery partners you can take a look at if you want:

Let me know how it went.

Hi there.
Can you see the drive in BIOS? If you don't, then remove it from the enclosure I would suggest to try the basic troubleshooting steps and try a different USB cable, different port of the motherboard and if none of these work - to plug it in a different computer and see if it gets recognized there.
If it doesn't help, then contact a data recovery company and see if your information can be retrieved from the drive, and keep in mind that the more you use the drive and try to repair it, the worse the damage and the extraction of files may become. Here's a link with the WD recovery partners you can take a look at if you want:
Let me know how it went.

I should have mentioned it's a Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (ST2000DM001) drive, and I actually also tried it connected directly to the computer via internal SATA cables and the BIOS only reported the drive as "unknown" - should I try it on a different computer?

Thanks!

Sounds like it's dead-- dead dead. Professional data recovery is likely your only option.

If you can find the exact same drive-- not just model #, but firmware, sub-model/part number, etc. you might be able to try a PCB swap, but that is risky and even if it does work, odds are good it won't work for much longer.

I should have mentioned it's a Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (ST2000DM001) drive, and I actually also tried it connected directly to the computer via internal SATA cables and the BIOS only reported the drive as "unknown" - should I try it on a different computer?

Thanks!

Yes, try it on a different computer .
As for te suggested PCB swap, you can try to do so if you want, but I won't recommend it. I'm not saying that only because this is not a recommended operation in general, but mostly because that the risk of damaging the drive further is too big and that the chance of finding an exact match of a PCB is really low due to the differences in firmware over the years.