Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Samsung SM863 SSD Review Discussion

Samsung has released a new SSD series aimed at both enterprise as well as smaller data centers, the SM863. The SM863 is a write-intensive drive that is built for high-endurance, high-performance, and low power consumption. The SM863 sustained IOPS performance, built-in thermal guard protection to prevent overheating, and comes with tantalum capacitors for power loss protection. On the performance claims, the SM863 is claimed to reach speeds of up to 520MB/s on read and 485MB/s on write with a read performance up to 97,000 IOPS. The drive comes in a high capacity of up to 1.92TB and comes with a 5-year warranty.

Samsung SM863 SSD Review

It seems to have displaced the 845DC Pro then as the SATA3 contenting champion, and is faster than the Toshiba HK3R2.

I have wondered why at times Samsung isn't more dominant than it already is.

Edit: Typo

Edited by CrazyElf

first of all thanks for the first review of the SM863 I could find anywhere. Very much appreciated!

If one hadn't seen Toshiba PX04SMB numbers a couple of weeks ago, these would look even more impressive (SATA vs SAS, I know. But happen to have SAS controllers).

Anyway. Most announcements of the SM863 had over-provisioning as user configurable. Have you tried setting the over-provisioning

so it ends up being a 800GB SSD (in vein of the previous Samsung Pro SSDs)?

In theory that should boost random write iops and might affect latency too. I would be VERY interested in those numbers.

Edited by remosito

Yes, they have a tool to allow that and no, we just tested stock. If we free up some time after VMworld I'll see if we can get a subset of data run on OPd drives.

The review states "The capacity of the drive comes from eight 120GB Samsung 2bit-VNAND chips"

120GB simply looks to be the usable capacity of the SSD divided by the number of VNAND chips. Isn't reality that these chip have a capacity greater than 120GB and some of the raw capacity is lost to over-provisioning? That statement is misleading.

Yes, they have a tool to allow that and no, we just tested stock. If we free up some time after VMworld I'll see if we can get a subset of data run on OPd drives.

Thanks for the confirmation about the tool.

Would be fabulous if you did find the time to run a subset. The synthetic 4k test would be the most useful to me. But maybe to others a different one might be more useful? As the pros I'll let you be the judge of that :)

I guess generally it could be very informative to see how more over-provisioning affects performance of drives that allow to set it manually. Speed versus Capacity is a trade-off that would make a lot of sense depending on use-case.

Edited by remosito

Keep in mind you can always over provision a drive, the only thing unique here is a handy tool to make it simple.

Now that I think about it, should consumers buy this?

The SSD 850 Pro 2TB goes for about $1,000 USD. The 1.92 TB (technically 2 TB but over-provisioned) goes for $1,250 USD.

Hi,

sorry to say but this review has been somewhat useless for me. Not because you didn't test the right things, but I'd wish for a comparism against relevant models.

From your description, the SM863 should have been compared with the SV843 write heavy model.

From the current lineup, it should also have seen a comparism with the 845DC Pro, not just the 845DC Evo.

And on the intel end, only comparing to the S3500 (which as per your own review has really unstable latency) but not to more current S37100 or S3700.

And what about the PM863, why not put it up against the PM853 precedessor?

"Here's these two new SSDs which we will compare to a lot of really slow and outclassed SSDs"

Sure they're the fastest among those, but it's like going against a tractor, and hard to scale what that speed advantage really means.

It's a pity since I am really curious about this one. :)

Yeah, sometimes we don't have the best comps...either the drives went back, we never had them, testing platforms or methods changed...the list goes on. I'm glad you read the review, sad you found it useless. We'll keep doing the best we can do and hope to make you happier next time.

Hi,

I would like to join the previous post by Member dated September 11.

It would be of great value a review of the middle size 240 (MZ-7KM240Z) and 480 Gb (MZ-7KM480Z) SM863 models and how they compare with the consumer class cousins such as the Samsung EVO 850 / PRO.

These reviews should tell us why we should use 'enterprise' models, not just because of the environment (a firm) or because of a 'DC' on the label. Please demonstrate that firms are damaging their service 'not deploying' SSDs like these and that an EVO or PRO cannot sustain those enterprise tests. A white paper such as WHP-SSD-DATACENTER by Samsung is just a guidance, not a proof.

After all, we know that given the all-around improvements in the consumer models, it's very frequent that also firms choose models not only for budget constrains but.. because they are satisfied, too! So a comparison in that perspective should be mandatory to express the real value added of these SM863 (and PM863) series. Thank you!

Edited by george69

Really depends on the use case. We see client SSDs in the enterprise all the time. How you want to use them is more important than a white paper. It's use case driven. Perhaps start a new thread with your needs and we'd be happy to help.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but our vendor just informed us that the SM863 has been discontinued. Any news on what replaces it? I can't find a comparable ~1.9-2TB SSD. Hoping they announce soon.