Sign in to follow this  
pico1180

480GB v. 500GB v. 512GB? Different capacities or different advertising

I get the bit v. byte conversation and the age old, “OMG! My 1TB drive formatted down to 913GB usable!” complaint. However, this particular issue in this instance is stumping me. I’m here to offer a different spin on the, “where did all my capacity go?” complaint.

At the “500GB point” I see a lot of manufactures advertising different sizes. Are these drives actually different sizes, or are these companies just reporting their drives differently and the usable capacity is the same?

Is a 512GB SSD going to provide me 32GB’s more of usable space then the 480GB?

Or is it just a different way to market the same capacity?

Edited by pico1180

Generally with SSDs at main capacity points like 512 or 1024GB, you will see a spread of sizes like the ones you mention. Most of these companies all have the same 512GB raw capacity, but formatting or over-provisioning required by the controller they use dictate the amount of usable space.

Ok. Good to know. I wanted to make sure they werent all goign to format down to the same capactiy. If I want the most usable at that storage point, I will focus on 512GB SSD's. Thank you.

Ok. Good to know. I wanted to make sure they werent all goign to format down to the same capactiy. If I want the most usable at that storage point, I will focus on 512GB SSD's. Thank you.

That may not net you the best experience however. If you tell us what your budget is and projected workload, we can send you in the right direction. Or just self-service off this list -

http://www.storagereview.com//best_drives