Adam_a

WD Announces 5TB and 6TB Capacities For Red Pro and Black Lines

The new Red Pro capacities take advantage of an enhanced design and 128MB cache (compared to 64MB cache for the smaller capacities) with WD quoting data transfer rates up to 214Mb/s. In addition, the equipped WD NASware 3.0 features data protection, high NAS performance, and reliable integration. WD has also announced 5TB and 6TB additions to the company’s WD Black line of performance-heavy hard drives. The 3.5-inch, 7200 RPM drives are specifically designed for gamers and professionals that require high-performance out of their desktop systems and workstations.

WD Announces 5TB and 6TB Capacities For WD Red Pro and Black Lines

Are these 1Tb platters now?

Would the Black variant have the same issues like the other 6 platter non-He drives like the Seagate Enterprise v4 of being super thick and not fitting in certain areas?

I wasn't aware of the Seagate drives having size problems, can you elaborate or link a source?

The 6 platter design means that they moved the screw holes around a bit.

Anyways, there are certain places they don't always fit in.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_enterprise_capacity_6tb_35_hdd_review_v4

Most notable from a design perspective is that to make room for the sixth platter, Seagate had to move the center screw holes. They're gone on the sides entirely, and the ones on the bottom have moved to the back. There's a chance this could make the drives incompatible with tool-less drive trays and older trays that have not accounted for the move to a rear mounting point on the bottom of the drive.

Mostly a minor issue, but some of the tighter standard 3.5" bays have issues.

Glad WD has updated their black drives finally. Except their Scorpio black, which is still stuck at 750GB at 7200RPM for the past 4 years! I would surmise that the 6TB black has 6 1TB platters like the Seagate drives.

Edit: BTW, the 2TB Caviar Black has 2 processor cores as well

Edited by danwat1234

The 6 platter design means that they moved the screw holes around a bit.

Anyways, there are certain places they don't always fit in.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_enterprise_capacity_6tb_35_hdd_review_v4

Mostly a minor issue, but some of the tighter standard 3.5" bays have issues.

Interesting, thanks. My drive trays only use the front and rear side holes which I guess haven't moved, probably why I didn't notice. AFAIK they're the most commonly used ones, though the anti-vibration trays in my desktop case also have bottom holes.

Glad WD has updated their black drives finally. Except their Scorpio black, which is still stuck at 750GB at 7200RPM for the past 4 years! I would surmise that the 6TB black has 6 1TB platters like the Seagate drives.

Edit: BTW, the 2TB Caviar Black has 2 processor cores as well

No, they are using 5 platters. The WD subsidiary does not have a 6-platter platform, only the HGST subsidiary does.

Interesting, thanks. My drive trays only use the front and rear side holes which I guess haven't moved, probably why I didn't notice. AFAIK they're the most commonly used ones, though the anti-vibration trays in my desktop case also have bottom holes.

The current industry form factor defines 6 side mount holes and 6 bottom mount holes. The 2 closest to the SATA/SAS connector are required, while the others are optional (but each drive must provide at least 4 of the 6 holes for both side and bottom).

Earlier revisions of the spec only defined 4 and 4 holes. The locations themselves haven't changed, though.

You may be right since the Caviar Green 6TB uses 1.2TB/platter, the Black 6TB may be the same, hopefully! Depends on if the head technology is there for 7200RPM.

Edited by danwat1234

I know...it's sad how few client HDDs we've reviewed in the last few years :(

And the few you have, I've probably not read. Honestly, I've had very little interest in them in recent years, there just isn't a whole lot of point anymore. Performance is basically irrelevant since anything that requires performance gets an SSD.

Of all my computing devices, everything has at least two SSDs in it and the only thing that even still has any HDDs left is my storage server. And even that has two SSDs for caching so the HDD performance is still irrelevant.

Was the platter density of these drives ever determined?

I'm also wondering about some of the lower capacity Red (non-Pro) drives and whether they've moved on from 1TB platters yet.