BOE

What is the difference between the 20 different HE8 8TB drives?

Hello,

I know the difference between the SAS and Sata models but not the 20 varieties of these 2 models. I see a number of venders who carry more than one HE8 SATA and more than one HE8 SAS at VERY different prices between the SAS and SAS drives and SATA and SATA. I could understand a difference between a SAS and SATA drives but not within the same category from the same vendor unless there was a difference. On the web site they all APPEAR to have the same specs.

A lot of the part number differences come down to subtle differences like sector size:

SAS model 4Kn: 4096, 4112, 4160, 4224 / 512e: 512, 520, 528
SATA model: 4Kn: 4096, 512e: 512
Seagate and Toshiba are the same way. 512e would be closest to what I'd consider a "normal" drive to deploy without worrying about compatibility issues. The others are for very specific environments where platforms require a proprietary sector size for an array or other unique environment.

Thanks - I can't find any indication that there is any difference between SAS drives the drives including sector size. There are about 10 SAS drives and about 10 sata drives. All 10 of the sas drives appear to have the same specs with each other and all 10 of the SATA drives seems to have the same specs with each other although the SAS and SATAs differ. I'd like to know why some HE8 SAS drives are so much more expensive than other HE8 SAS drives from the same resellers who carry multiple versions of the HE8 SAS drives.

Edited by BOE

Thanks - I'm comparing the HUH728080AL4200 vs. the HUG728080AL5200 vs. the HUH2728080AL4201 and the HUH728080AL5204 They vary in price by $300 from the same resellers. I'm used to seeing a price difference between tigerdirect and say budig or on amazon between different amazon resellers but when one reseller carries several, I'm surprised to see such a price difference since I can't seem to find any specs to differentiate the models.

Edited by BOE

HUH728080AL5204 = 512e SAS 12Gb/s and Secure Erase (overwrite only)

HUH728080AL4200 = 4Kn SAS 12Gb/s with Instant Secure Erase

Little decoder ring here:

How to read the Ultrastar model number
HUH7280xxAL4205 = 7200 RPM, xTB, 4Kn SAS 12Gb/s, TCG with FIPS
H = HGST
U = Ultrastar
H = Helium (vs. S for Standard)
72 = 7200 RPM
80 = Full capacity — 8TB (8000GB)
xx = Capacity this model
(80 = 8TB, 60 = 6TB)
A = Generation code
L = 26.1mm z-height
42 = Interface, 4Kn SAS 12Gb/s
(52 = 512e SAS 12Gb/s,
E6 = 512e SATA 6Gb/s,
N6 = 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s)
0 = Reserved
y = Data Security Mode
0 = Instant Secure Erase
1 = Bulk Data Encryption (SATA),
TCG SED encryption (SAS)
4 = Secure Erase (overwrite only)
5 = TCG encryption with FIPS (SAS)

Thanks! I guess there is not significant difference in performance between units, I might as well buy the cheapest unit I can find. I wonder when they'll start offering the B generation. This is a HUGE investment for me as I need at least 12 so I'm trying to get all my facts straight. I'll be using it on a Windows 8.1 or 10 PC with a new 170 skylake motherboard. I doubt LSI will have a high capacity controller by then so I'll probably get the adaptec. I doubt I'd see much performance gains as it will be for storing shows and movies and the only time I need performance is during backups and restores.

Edited by BOE

Sounds like you're putting them in a home storage build at which point I have to ask why bother paying 3x as much for He8 drives when a larger number of smaller, much cheaper drives would do? It's not like you're paying out the nose per unit of rackspace with a home desktop.

I want to be able to fit all 12-14 hard drives in my tower. I can make a MUCH quieter unit than I can if I build an array unit as they require far more airflow/louder fans to cover the restriction caused by the back plane. I do not have a closet or anything I can keep this unit in so I have to build a very very quiet unit with at least 80TB of storage. My current unit has only 8 drives in it but the nice thing is you can't hear it from the couch which is in the same room. I'll be using even quieter fans in a MUCH larger case with better airflow this time although there will be 2 more fans in the new case.

Edited by BOE

I used to build DIY bodges for storage when I was younger, once stringing 20 drives between two shelves with foam because I wanted something quiet and couldn't be bothered paying £300+ for a 20+ drive chassis. Best of luck!

Still I would prefer much cheaper drives myself, 16x 6TB drives will give you 96TB of storage for under £3000, whereas 12x 8TB He8's will cost £5200 for the same. That's a huge amount more for very little space saving.

In fact I personally would go for 8TB Archive drives at £185 each, giving 96TB for £2200, literally less than half of the He8's for the same space. Though many other people would advise against the Archive drives in RAID's, I have no issue with them.

I understand your point of view however my living conditions are what they are and I can't deal with the noise of an array with a backplane - otherwise, I too would get 6TB drives and put them in a 24bay array as I find the Seagate enterprise 6TB drives faster than the HE8 drives. I would not get 8TB archive drives however as the new tech doesn't lend itself well to arrays. I do want some speed as I use them for a number of things besides the storage of my movies.

Edited by BOE

I don't find arrays with backplanes any noisier than arrays without backplanes. And nor do you need backplanes for 16 drives... But it's up to you. If I had a spare £3000 to spend I'd be changing my living conditions not my drives :-P In either case an extra 4 drives is barely 1" on top of any standard case even if they don't fit inside, hardly enough to justify the extra cost IMO.

The Seagate 8TB Archive drives will do about 1-2GB/sec in an array with 12 drives which I find enough for most things :)

I do backups about once per week. That is about 1-3 TB of changes per week. I transfer over a 10G network and pretty much saturate my bandwidth at that time. The other issue is unfortunately where I live the difference in the price would allow me to upgrade just 1 month of rent and I'll probably keep this unit for at least 5 years so the amortization is pretty simple. Again if I could afford a huge home then yes, I'd build a big honkin array that could be as loud as a vacuum cleaner and put it in a basement but I can't afford such luxury so I have what I have.

Edited by BOE

I need to order a bunch of SATA HGST 8T next week. IS there any reason performance wise to get one model over the other? Any news of a gen b?

Go for the model you need, there shouldnt be any performance advantage over the different revisions.